Building A House

SS Silv

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More progress, more snow :banghead:

However, before the snow hit, we were able to get the shingles done, windows, and tyvek. Now, we have most of the house closed off with plastic and insulation so we can thaw the ground. We started the temporary heater (300,000 btu's) last thursday. The ground is now thawed and we will be doing the underground plumbing tomorrow.

P1010590.jpg

P1010592.jpg

P1010594.jpg

P1010595.jpg

I figured I will keep this thread rolling with every bit of progress. It's kind of like a scrap book for me, and others might find the homebuilding process interesting.

Underground plumbing is finished. Thank god for my walk behind Bobcat with the excavating attachment. The ground was thawed but extremely hard. It would have sucked digging it all by hand. Next step(s), backfill plumbing, cover the dirt with a couple inches of sand, install foam board, lay the underground heating lines, and finally poor the slab.

P1010598.jpg

P1010597.jpg

P1010600.jpg

P1010601.jpg

P1010602.jpg

P1010603.jpg

Just a suggestion/question, are you doing a Floor drain for the garage ?

If I ever get a change to build, its going to be a must for me, actually 2 of them, 1 centered under each car area

Yup, we couldnt dig the drain for the garage yet. The garage is full of mud. We are waiting for the ground to dry. We are actually doing a trench drain which is far better than the common round/bucket drain.

I love seeing the pictures of the progress, we tore half of our house apart to reconfigure a new kitchen. I loved doing construction work on houses, so much fun and rewarding when I was done looking at what I did. Is your garage going to have a slight pitch for the drainage, or just flat and the trench drain?

I love seeing the pictures of the progress, we tore half of our house apart to reconfigure a new kitchen. I loved doing construction work on houses, so much fun and rewarding when I was done looking at what I did. Is your garage going to have a slight pitch for the drainage, or just flat and the trench drain?

Their will be a pitch. Also the garage floor will be heated as well.

In missouri, the dirt does not drain very well so we use 1" clean under slabs, the sand swells when it gets moist. Cracks the concrete, but the cracks come in the truck. Iam very interesting the heating of the concrete, take some pictues so i can have some ideas. What size of heater and pump would you use for heating the slab?

In missouri, the dirt does not drain very well so we use 1" clean under slabs, the sand swells when it gets moist. Cracks the concrete, but the cracks come in the truck. Iam very interesting the heating of the concrete, take some pictues so i can have some ideas. What size of heater and pump would you use for heating the slab?

I will take lots of pics. I can't remember the size of boiler. I'll have that info later..