Front Diff

im not really sure if my front diff is really working it seems like some times it does and last nite it snowed and i took it out and i started doing dounuts and alll my rear end would do is spin i got nothin in the front....could my front diff be shot or what i have no clue .... i know that thing annoys the shit oputa me drivin down the road i hate it soo much if anyone could help id appreciate it thanks........ :nonod:

You could be having a failure with the viscous coupler. The question is are you positive that the front didn't work. The SSS trucks depending on the tires can be terrible in the snow and will spin around just as easily as if it were 2wd. If the front diff were failing you'd know it. The transfer case is what actually sends the power to the front and rear diffs. If it isn't working correctly you could have an issue with the front having little to no power being sent to it.

I’m going to have to agree with Zippy, the front differential can have bearings go bad, it can break the spider gears or the ring and pinion, you could even snap a CV, but in any of those cases you would know it. For the front to just stop pulling, it would have to be the transfer-case, in which the most common failure would be the viscous coupler. The NVG-149 is a pretty tough cookie and normally doesn’t fail, even behind some pretty mean engines and usually when the coupler goes bad they tend to lock up causing binding, not quit splitting the power. However it is possible. The viscous coupler used to be available for replacement, I don’t know whether or not it still is, though it most likely is. It however is not serviceable.