Built My First Tube Chassis

Punisher

I have to say this is the most intricate thing I have built and I am very very proud of what I have done. I had 1/64th of an inch of tolerance on this build. So I am going to go into detail about it.

Yes this is plans off of a 1st Generation Camaro/Firebird (F-Body) Platform but I hate to ruin it for some of you and tell you it is a 1/2 scale chassis. Building this is 100% the exact same work as building a full scale chassis and does take the same amount of time (for anyone that hasn't built a car chassis before.) It is only less materials. This took me 2 weeks of 9 hour days straight to build this.

Well I have been wanting to do a drag go-kart for a while and I decided to save my money on my SSS build so I built this for something a bit cheaper. A 1st Gen Camaro tube chassis with a step-notch is a great common chassis for drag racing so I just built it smaller.

Dimensions:

Length: 78 1/4" (6.6')

Width: 27 7/8"

Height at Tallest Point (Step Notches): 11"

Materials: 1/8" DOM Tubing 1"x2" Mild Steel 24 Feet (Chassis)

1/8" Mild Steel Flat Stock 12"x2' (Backing Plates)

All TIG welded.

I don't have my camera now so I will have to wait to upload better pictures. But this is it finished in my apartment.

Sorry again these pictures are terrible.

14754_236262111413_664446413_4203476_7756062_n.jpg

Front

14754_236262126413_664446413_4203477_2514408_n.jpg

14754_236262141413_664446413_4203479_496740_n.jpg

Back

14754_236262146413_664446413_4203480_2819333_n.jpg

Welds

The floor pan is behind it, a friend didn't need some 16 Gauge sheet metal so I will use that (its a little heavy but money is tight so it will due)

I should finish the floor pan soon and start with standard Push/Pull Tie Rod steering and disc brakes.

The powertrain is up in the air as far as right now. Once the steering and brakes are done I will buy the needed power/drivetrain components then fabricate/weld the motor mounts and get the wheel/tire combo and rear axle.

The plan is something stupid-crazy for the engine, most likely a large displacement turboed snowmobile engine or a motorcycle engine, turbo V-Twin or turbo 4 stroke 4 cylinder 600cc or so. 4-5 speed transmission paddle shifted.

It is a step-notched tube chassis so I have to do something crazy, right!? :crazy: Depending on ride height it will have 15-17" tall tires on it. This will hold 300-400 horsepower, maybe more but I would kill myself with that much. Its not a Silverado SS but I hope you guys will be excited to see how it turns out, I know I am!

post-18250-1261279644_thumb.jpg

Sick work man! I love fabricating. Your welds look pretty solid too :thumbs:

I can't wait to see how this comes along. BTW, I hope you weren't welding that on carpet :rolleyes:

Haha thanks. No I built this all in the shop on a frame bench. I just had to get it out of there so thats why its in the room now.

Very nice job. I have built several styles of tube chassis' and I can say your chassis looks great. What rear set up are you going to go with?

Thank you. The rear end axles should be (2) 10" 1-3/8" Chromemoly tubular .225 wall with 15-17" tall slicks, 6" wide. Solid no suspension. (so I can compete in true go-kart classes.)

Very nice. GTAW? What are you using for a welding machine? I have a Miller Dynasty 200 SD, great machine for the garage (but spendy)

I used my shops Lincoln TIG 225, so yes GTAW. Im looking for a personal welder now, I was looking at that Miller Dynasty 200, but dang is the price high. What options do you have? Watercooled and Fingertip control?

Edited by Punisher (see edit history)

I used my shops Lincoln TIG 225, so yes GTAW. Im looking for a personal welder now, I was looking at that Miller Dynasty 200, but dang is the price high. What options do you have? Watercooled and Fingertip control?

At work I mostly use a Miller Maxstar (very portable to move around on a Submarine) I got a Dynasty because you can weld Alum. with it too. I have with it, the protective cover,

Universal Cart and Cylinder Rack, Contractor Kit with Foot Control, and RMS-14 Remote On/Off Control (all found under accessories for the Dynasty). I wired it up for 220 and can run it in my garage or off my generator if I have to take it somewhere.

Edited by JF-03-SS (see edit history)