Header Opinions

miketaylor4

Just got my K&N 77 series now on to the headers. I looking at some shorties on ebay. FIrst whats the difference between the shorties and longs. The ones im looking at are the edelbrock, gibson and JBA. ANy opinions on the best or any others. Anyone have some used ones they want to get rid of?

-mike

Just got my K&N 77 series now on to the headers. I looking at some shorties on ebay. FIrst whats the difference between the shorties and longs. The ones im looking at are the edelbrock, gibson and JBA. ANy opinions on the best or any others. Anyone have some used ones they want to get rid of?

-mike

The difference between shorties and long tube headers are pretty much in the length of the primary tubes of he header. The shorties are designed to bolt up to the stock down pipe's keeping everything simple and a complete bolt on part. Shorties however don't offer much power gain as compared to long tube headers. Shorties commonly are good for 7-10RWHP if tuned in. Long tubes can be 20-30RWHP commonly when tuned in. For best power go for the long tubes. For easiest to install go for the shorties. For shorties I'd recomend the Edelbrock's or JBA's. If you can afford the long tubes and have the ability to install them go for the long tubes. Used are a good way to buy them. Sometimes even a rough looking set can be fixed by having them coated or re-coated. Good luck and good modding... lol

zippy summed that up pretty good. basically, if you're looking for better performance, go with the long tubes. i put mine on around a month ago and love it. best mod i've done besides a tune. here's a link to a write up i did on a pacesetter long tube install. it's really not that difficult and can be done relatively cheap if money is an issue. good luck :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...