Timing Chain And Oil Pump.

Cramer

As some might know I am about to do a cam swap.

I will be changing my timing chain and oil pump while i'm there.

Should I go with a single roller timing chain or get a double roller adjustable TC?

As for the oil pump I want to put a LS6 pump in but should I port it or have someone port and shim it? Or is it not needed?

Here is a site to show you how to port your own oil pump.

http://www.andersonperformance.net/LSx_Oil...orting_v1.2.pdf

Thanks

As some might know I am about to do a cam swap.

I will be changing my timing chain and oil pump while i'm there.

Should I go with a single roller timing chain or get a double roller adjustable TC?

As for the oil pump I want to put a LS6 pump in but should I port it or have someone port and shim it? Or is it not needed?

Here is a site to show you how to port your own oil pump.

http://www.andersonperformance.net/LSx_Oil...orting_v1.2.pdf

Thanks

Your timing chain choice depends on how much open spring pressure you are running; for stock or near stock the replacement LS2 timing chain and cam gear work just fine. I wouldn't shim the spring in the factory oil pump unless you are revving the motor to the moon and need more pressure at those higher RPMs. Blueprinting/porting a pump is never a bad idea, anything that smooths oil delivery is A Good Thing.

Don't forget to buy the replacement O-ring seal for the oil pump pickup tube :banghead:

Mr. P. :)

Thanks Mr.P.

I will be running a low lift cam with new LS6 springs, and I won't be running her past 6400.

Just had GREAT success with Bob's truck (8 UR HMI) installing the following - his engine gained 2-inches of manifold vacuum and almost 2-mpg replacing his timing chain; I knew it would run a little better but I was surprised with the results. The chain in Bob's truck had 113K-miles on it, mine's at 80K now and I'm seriously thinking of upgrading it after seeing the improvement. Parts used -

LS2 Timing Chain

Cam Sprocket

Crank Damper Bolt

Oil Pickup Tube Seal (redesigned, fits all Gen-III & Gen-IV motors)

(2) Gallons Dex-Cool antifreeze

LS water pump seals (optional)

All the parts you can get at your local GM dealer, or if you want HPM can put the chain, sprocket, bolt, and seal together as a maintenance kit and sell it to you for $110 shipped. Either way for $125-bones and the better part of a day is all it takes to do this. Leave the fan attached to the water pump and remove/replace as one unit. Leave the power steering/alternator bracket in place, it doesn't have to be removed to get the cam cover off. You have to get under the truck and loosen all the oil pan bolts (12) about 1/2-inch as well as the two lower bellhousing bolts (don't actually remove the pan!), and don't be laying directly under it or you will get a oily sanchez. lol.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)