Dreaded Emissions Test!

Nscott

I got the dreaded letter two days before christmas....and the deadline is on my birthday, fantastic.

I Have volant cai, glasspacks in place of the stock muffler, and straight piped cats, tuned by wheatley. I think we have a tail pipe sniffer here in CT.

Someone told me "de natured"? alcohol in the tank and get it warm, i could pass...

I have two months to decide what i need to do :cheers:

I have never had to deal with emissions and don't know how they handle people who don't pass, but my advice would be to put back in the muffler and cats. A few people who have had to worry about emissions tests have welded flanges to the cats to bolt them in and out in place of straight pipes for such situations. You could do the same :dunno: I don't think the cai and tune would cause you to fail, just the exhaust stuff. Good Luck

I got the dreaded letter two days before christmas....and the deadline is on my birthday, fantastic.

I Have volant cai, glasspacks in place of the stock muffler, and straight piped cats, tuned by wheatley. I think we have a tail pipe sniffer here in CT.

Someone told me "de natured"? alcohol in the tank and get it warm, i could pass...

I have two months to decide what i need to do :cheers:

your probably going to need the cats. check with a shop that does inspections to confirm this. if like CA testing, if your not throwing/stored any codes, and the sniffer is good. with the tune you should not have any trouble.. passed 2 smog inspections tuned here in CA with no problem at all..

good luck

:seeya:

EDIT.. as for muffler, i think all you need is a muffler of some kind WITH OUT ANY LEAKS in the system

Edited by desrtrat (see edit history)

First concern is if the truck will pass visual inspection; there is nothing wrong with running the CAI or catback, but the catalytic converters need to look stock; if you gutted the original cats then it will still look emissions-legal, if you replaced them with straight sections of pipe you're screwed, they'll fail the truck before even hooking-up the sniffer because the converters are obviously not present. However, as long as the exhaust will pass visual inspection and you are running a very tame emissions-friendly cam (i.e. stock) and the rest of the tune-up is working fine then the truck shouldn't have an issue passing the sniffer test at idle. Even so smog guys are not as dumb as people think, they can tell from the sound of the exhaust whether converters are gutted or not.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

I thought that they just plug it in the obd port and if it detects a code then you don't pass

This is the way New York does it.....anything ODB II compatable gets scanned, no sniffer. Although there is also a visual safety inspection for suspension, tires, brakes.......and yes the presence of cats....but if they are punched out and you do not have any codes thrown, it will pass. The ODB test looks at 4 monitors to see if they are ready, 2 EVAP and 2 Emmisions(front 02's, rears are not part of the test), 3 out of 4 monitors need to be ready and code free in order to pass inspection......

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

With our tuning,you will still pass emissions unless you do not have cats.Of course if it is illegal to not have cats,it will fail!!running no cats is for off road use ONLY!!

I do alot off-roading in my SS :jester:

Any recommendations to longtubes with cats?

This is the way New York does it.....anything ODB II compatable gets scanned, no sniffer. Although there is also a visual safety inspection for suspension, tires, brakes.......and yes the presence of cats....but if they are punched out and you do not have any codes thrown, it will pass. The ODB test looks at 4 monitors to see if they are ready, 2 EVAP and 2 Emmisions(front 02's, rears are not part of the test), 3 out of 4 monitors need to be ready and code free in order to pass inspection......

Depends on the year of the vehicle. There are more then 4 monitors and depending on the year depends on how many can be "not ready"

My suggestion would be to get something in place that looks like a cat so that you can pass the visual portion of the inspection. As far as the emissions portion of the inspection, I am sure Wheatly's tune will pass. If CT is like NY they are looking to make sure that there are no codes present and that the proper number of monitors are "ready". The whole purpose of the monitors is to test that particular system for faults. In other words you can't just unplug your battery or clear any codes out and go get it inspected. If this is done, the monitors will read "not ready" and it will fail. Once the vehicle goes through a couple drive cycles (or what ever situation that monitor requires to run) then it will test and either read ready or throw a code. I have no idea what to tell you about the sniffer as we do not run them in NY anymore. I don't forsee it being a big issue though. I have also found that going to places like jiffy lube or valvaline tends to help you out. Those types of places tend to look over or not notice more things than say a dealer would.

First concern is if the truck will pass visual inspection; there is nothing wrong with running the CAI or catback, but the catalytic converters need to look stock; if you gutted the original cats then it will still look emissions-legal, if you replaced them with straight sections of pipe you're screwed, they'll fail the truck before even hooking-up the sniffer because the converters are obviously not present. However, as long as the exhaust will pass visual inspection and you are running a very tame emissions-friendly cam (i.e. stock) and the rest of the tune-up is working fine then the truck shouldn't have an issue passing the sniffer test at idle. Even so smog guys are not as dumb as people think, they can tell from the sound of the exhaust whether converters are gutted or not.

Mr. P. :)

I agree.

If you do not have the sniffer, it is easy to pass the OBDII inspection with some tuning software. As Steve mentioned, the visual inspection is key...you need to have cats or at least the shells (and tuning) to be legal and PASS.

You should have seen the guys at the garage where I took my truck for inspection. As the truck is sitting there spitting, choppin' and rocking, the tech smiled at me when the computer showed everything was in "ready state" for the OBDII. A quick look under the truck for cats and he was satisfied for visual. As contrary to many beliefs, the OBDII emissions inspection is a modern day hot rodder's dream.