Please Make Sure Your Smoke Alarms Work !

RockHead

Run #1 for 2010 was a working house , they all got out thanks to the smoke Alarms . Just take 5 min to look at them or change out te batterys . :thumbs:

Upper Moreland is the just to north us and we got call in 2nd alarm . We layed 1500' of 5" hose for the relay that we had going . There were two main supply line one with 4 pump relays of 5,000' and anther one was 3,000'

UPPER MORELAND, Pa. - January 3, 2010 -- Fire officials say a Pennsylvania state senator and his family escaped an early morning fire that destroyed their home in suburban Philadelphia.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=...&id=7198459

Sen. Stewart Greeenleaf is a Montgomery County Republican who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Officials say the blaze broke out at the two-story Upper Moreland Township home around 3:30 a.m. Sunday.

Fire officials say Greenleaf, his wife and son escaped after they were awakened by smoke detectors and saw flames on the first floor.

About 150 firefighters responded and officials say high winds and freezing temperatures made fighting the fire difficult.

It was declared under control around 5 a.m.

The Senator released the following statement on the loss of his home:

"My family and I have suffered the loss of our home to fire in Upper Moreland Township last night," said Senator Greenleaf. "At approximately 3:00 a.m. Sunday morning, I awoke to a sounding smoke alarm. I rushed my family outside to safety and thankfully no one was injured. The entire structure was fast consumed by the blaze. The cause of the fire is not yet known"

"I would like to thank all of the fire companies and volunteers who responded immediately and fought the fire under extreme conditions. While we have lost all of our possessions, we are thankful for our lives.

"I ask that you keep my family in your thoughts and prayers as we go through this difficult time."

There's no word yet on what started the blaze.

Mark :cheers:

Good post, that is why they should be checked twice yearly at Daylight Savings time. :fart:

Mark, that is a great 1st call of the year(not for the homeowner), we had a working detached garage/house fire as our first run on New Years Day in 2003. All we have had so far this year is about a dozen EMS runs. Not a single piece of fire apparatus has had to turn a wheel yet. :freak:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

All we have had so far this year is about a dozen EMS runs. Not a single piece of fire apparatus has had to turn a wheel yet. :freak:

Just got our first of 2010 this morning. Mutual Aid for a smoke investigation. Unfortunatly I had to leave for work so I didnt make it. Glad everyone made it out ok.

I haven't had a good burner in a longgg time. :(

+1, Thats a good thing tho. Id say we will start having some due to the temps being around 7* at nite and below 0* with the wind chill. Checking smoke alarms is a very good idea and having your chimney cleaned if you burn wood, always have a lot of thoes catch on fire during winter.

Edited by sierra ss (see edit history)

Just got our first of 2010 this morning. Mutual Aid for a smoke investigation. Unfortunatly I had to leave for work so I didnt make it. Glad everyone made it out ok.

We had our first 2 firematic runs this morning, an oil burner malfunction, then an MVA.......but we still have tallied about 20 ambulance runs so far for the year now.

Rob, we normally get 3 working fires per year if we are lucky........we have had 4 in the past 6 weeks(shennanigans! :rolleyes: ). 1 Arson, 2 for carelessness, and 1 for a dryer......

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

I didnt mean to check mine the other day but something that was cooking in the oven fell off the pan into the bottom and was layin on the heating element...needless to say there was a bit of smoke when i opened it up :P All of the alarms went off in the house one by one as the smoke reached them, so I'm set till next time i burn something!

We had our first 2 firematic runs this morning, an oil burner malfunction, then an MVA.......but we still have tallied about 20 ambulance runs so far for the year now.

Rob, we normally get 3 working fires per year if we are lucky........we have had 4 in the past 6 weeks(shennanigans! :rolleyes: ). 1 Arson, 2 for carelessness, and 1 for a dryer......

I went from being 2nd Lt in a station that did 400-500+ calls a year easy (and a good amount of them fire or mva), to low man on the pole at a station that does roughly 70-80 calls 90% of which are ems. I have been going through withdrawls :crazy:

We've go 6 "Smoke Alarms" in our home. They are hard wired w/ battery backup of course, and when 1 goes off they all go off....

How do I know........

We have a gas log fireplace (Ventless) and I don't know if it's just the odor of the "NEW" or the sudden heat from it, But we can rarely use it due to it sets off the alarms. If I open a window and and light the fireplace it finally "Gets used to it" I'll say.. after 3 or 4 alarm triggers. Any advise on something like this?

But back on topic.

Yes please keep them batteries changed. We'd hate to lose a fellow member or anyone of their family menbers.

I went from being 2nd Lt in a station that did 400-500+ calls a year easy (and a good amount of them fire or mva), to low man on the pole at a station that does roughly 70-80 calls 90% of which are ems. I have been going through withdrawls :crazy:

Tell me about it, I left the same station about 3 weeks ago. I'm kinda missing it.