Physical Evidence Front Diff Is Failing Again?

I had my front diff rebuilt quite a while ago and I'm getting the feeling it's going again. The signs are the usual low speed grind when switching from first into second at low speed when it's cold. Also something new this time. It seems to load the motor ever so slightly more when cruising under light load in fourth gear and grind. Both symptoms make me thing that there's some play in something and it's deflecting under light load. The puzzling thing is the oil shows no metal so the shop that rebuilt it is concluding all is fine. Referring to the pic below does anyone think there might be any movement detectable in the driver's side output or the pinion shaft if something is out of whack?

FrontDifferentialII.jpg

Regards,

Dan

Well the endplay, runout, and bearing clearances can certainly be checked against the tolerances published in the service manual and could pinpoint any issues, but that's not as definitive as opening the case for inspection of the diff and in our trucks that requires removing the axle. :( Another way is to fit the axle with a chassis/drivetrain listening system and take it on a low-speed test drive to determine what is making the noise.

Mr. P. :)