Ok Guys My Turn

mcmahan

Hey guys I am planing on starting a turbo build soon and I was wanting so input and advice from you turbo guys.

I am not going to jump head first into this, I have had alot of turbo cars and I figured I would do the same with my SSS.

As most of you know I am in the Army and I will get as much of the components as I can and wait till i get them all before I start the install.

Any insight would be great

Thanks in advance

Justin

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't do the STS kit - that's my advice! You thinking of large single or twins? Both make same power, the large single would be a lot less plumbing and easier to package underhood IMO. You just going to use factory manifolds, or are you going to buy the SW turbo headers? Don't skimp on the boost controller, get the best one you can afford. How large do you want to go on the injectors?

Mr. P. :)

Don't do the STS kit - that's my advice! You thinking of large single or twins? Both make same power, the large single would be a lot less plumbing and easier to package underhood IMO. You just going to use factory manifolds, or are you going to buy the SW turbo headers? Don't skimp on the boost controller, get the best one you can afford. How large do you want to go on the injectors?

:withstupid: like i told u on the phone, the sts is nice but for what ur looking to do i would build a custom kit for a front mount. the sts is good but it requires a lot more work to get it running right. chpspecial is a freak of nature lol. his sts kit is 1 of a kind and his works great for him. mine was ok but a front mount would have been better in my case. i would do a single front mount as well!!!

good luck justin

Isnt it Doctors of Performance here in Michigan (a friend of Zippy's) that does those one off front mount turbo builds? And I think they even built blackyss turbo? You might be able to consult with them for advice or even get some parts from them. Also, keep your eyes open for a used livernois kit floating around or see if you can get some specs on those kits, they were pretty good with an upgraded turbo.

Yeah, don't do an STS kit, their simplicity does not outweigh the fact that they can not perform, don't put out the numbers or track E.T's and haven't proven them selves. Plus it takes them about a week to spool up. When I go to the track I have to brake stall my truck from the minute I leave my house just so that I can arrive at the track and make sure that on the whole run I can acctually get some boost out of it. :uhoh:

On a side note, do what you feel comfortable with, and make sure you have all the supporting mods before you venture into your turbo project. And don't overshoot on turbo size for your targeted HP level.

Yeah, don't do an STS kit, their simplicity does not outweigh the fact that they can not perform, don't put out the numbers or track E.T's and haven't proven them selves. Plus it takes them about a week to spool up. When I go to the track I have to brake stall my truck from the minute I leave my house just so that I can arrive at the track and make sure that on the whole run I can acctually get some boost out of it. :uhoh:

On a side note, do what you feel comfortable with, and make sure you have all the supporting mods before you venture into your turbo project. And don't overshoot on turbo size for your targeted HP level.

put a leaf blower in line with a bag of dry ice maybe that would work...

you need one of these ray,no more turbo lag LOL

gt500whipplesmallzc5.jpg

idk know what ur talking about im running an sts kit with a bigger turbo, 408 and im maken 800+hp and im maken boost at about 2800rpm... i love the kit!!!

idk know what ur talking about im running an sts kit with a bigger turbo, 408 and im maken 800+hp and im maken boost at about 2800rpm... i love the kit!!!

I was being sarcastic, hard to show on the net... I also have an STS kit, and it is running great, I get full boost at 3000rpm and makes for a great driver. mine has also towed 6000lbs on a 6-7%grade at 60 mph building 4# of boost with no problems, the grade is a little over a mile long. That was with minnimal throttle, I didn't want to go up the hill speeding.

put a leaf blower in line with a bag of dry ice maybe that would work...

you need one of these ray,no more turbo lag LOL

gt500whipplesmallzc5.jpg

Have you seen the video of the Kid who is dynoing his civic (I think, might have been an s10) and hooked up a leaf blower, the car made like 25 more HP

thanks for the info guys. I am not going to go crazy like chase or jason just yet

i would like to get a single front mount and get the tranny built very good then when i get the SS paid for in a year I will dump alot of money into it

also the ss is my DD and i really dont drive that far i probley put about 2-3 miles a day on it so just something that will give me plenty of power but still resonable for a DD

what would you guys recomend as far as turbo size I plan on sending some PM's tonite and ask some questions

again guy thanks for all the advice

Justin