Pics From Cam Install.

thomp62301

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you guys did the Russian Roulet way with the lifters????

Sure did, the two lower holes behind the cam plate that are pictured in the alluminum block of the LS1Tech How To, are just two nubs on the iron block in Luke's truck. We had the dowels to hold the lifters up, but no hole to put the through.......we wound up rotating the cam to get the lifters in their keepers, and quickly removed one cam and installed the other.......sweating bullets of course.......

Sure did, the two lower holes behind the cam plate that are pictured in the alluminum block of the LS1Tech How To, are just two nubs on the iron block in Luke's truck. We had the dowels to hold the lifters up, but no hole to put the through.......we wound up rotating the cam to get the lifters in their keepers, and quickly removed one cam and installed the other.......sweating bullets of course.......

The holes are actually there. When I was doing mine, we spun the cam over a few times,then took aluminum welding rods and taped them together and stuck them in (thinking they were blocking the lifters) then swapped cams. Then curiosity got me. With the welding rods still in place, took a pushrod and pushed down on the lifter and it hit the cam. So we did the russian roulet way thinking we were safe..lol :loser:

Looks like you guy's had a great time. :thumbs:

When you swapped out the cam what did you mean by "dowels to hold the lifters" with the plastic trays that the lifters sit in, do they not keep them from dropping down? :dunno: Was this a tip that you found in a reference "LS1 Tech How To"?

When you guy's swapped out the springs, did you do the old pull the spark plug out and fill the cylinder with rope and rotate the crank to hold the valves in-place?

When you swapped out the cam what did you mean by "dowels to hold the lifters" with the plastic trays that the lifters sit in, do they not keep them from dropping down? :dunno: Was this a tip that you found in a reference "LS1 Tech How To"?

When you guy's swapped out the springs, did you do the old pull the spark plug out and fill the cylinder with rope and rotate the crank to hold the valves in-place?

I do not want to steal all of Luke's thunder here, so I will make this quick....The plastic trays are supposed to hold the lifters, but apparently they can still come loose and fall into the oil pan when the cam is out. The dowel rods are part of the LS1Tech How To, they slide into the cam plate bolt holes and keep the lifters from falling down. When we did the springs, each cylinder was filled with air, Luke has an air compressor adapter that threads into the spark plug hole.....if you look carefully at the pictures, you will see it......

I do not want to steal all of Luke's thunder here, so I will make this quick....The plastic trays are supposed to hold the lifters, but apparently they can still come loose and fall into the oil pan when the cam is out. The dowel rods are part of the LS1Tech How To, they slide into the cam plate bolt holes and keep the lifters from falling down. When we did the springs, each cylinder was filled with air, Luke has an air compressor adapter that threads into the spark plug hole.....if you look carefully at the pictures, you will see it......

Great, thanks for the info! :thumbs: This forum is awesome you learn more from this then some nut job manual! The other think I noticed is that the AC condenser did not have to be removed right. Just removing the radiator was enough for the cam to side out?

Edited by Blue2003SS (see edit history)

Great, thanks for the info! :thumbs: This forum is awesome you learn more from this then some nut job manual! The other think I noticed is that the AC condenser did not have to be removed right. Just removing the radiator was enough for the cam to side out?

Yes, condensor can stay in radiator out