What I have been up to...

dcairns

Looks good, Dave :thumbs: Did you win an award? Did I miss that part? Looks like the other guys holding something and I can see you have something around your neck.

I think you had the coolest plane AND the coolest hat :D - FWIW :cheers:

Looks good, Dave :thumbs:  Did you win an award?  Did I miss that part?  Looks like the other guys holding something and I can see you have something around your neck.

I think you had the coolest plane AND the coolest hat :D  - FWIW :cheers:

Yeah, I got 5th place. Not bad for an unfinished plane (no engines, windows, markings etc). There is a lot of detailing that goes into finishing them to make them look the part. I did not get that far, just a basic paint job.

Yeah the hats get a bit goofy when I spend the day in the sun. But you should see the hats some guys wear when it is cold out! :jester:

Starts with building insulation foam, glued in a box shape.

HPIM0962.jpg

Then I cut it with a hot wire cutter to get the basic shape of the plane.

HPIM0966.jpg

Then I do what is called "vacuum bagging" to apply the fiberglass and resin.

HPIM1051.jpg

The wing is vacuum bagged, but using carbon fiber fabric instead of fiberglass.

HPIM1257.jpg

Then a ton of Bondo, primer and sand paper

HPIM1273.jpg

Then a paint job. This is where things got too rushed. I went straight from the 150 grit sanding to a spray can paint job. My touch up gun didn't want to spray right, so I just gave up and used spray cans. I will have to go back and sand most of this paint job off.

HPIM1356.jpg

Gunner- My B-52 is supposed to be a D model, back when the tail gunner was by himself in the tail, with his own window :D I wonder how many of those guys just took long naps back there. Not much to do until someone starts shoot at ya :D .

I have done a bit of research on the B-52 and I can't help but be impressed by all the guys who spent long hours on alert and flying missions during the Cold War. It is easy to get caught up in the hardware, but there were real people, making real sacrifices to keep us safe. True unsung heroes. :flag:

McCy_ToomerCrew.gif

A birthday party while the crew is on alert.

Strk_Onalert.gif

I was on alert a bunch of times loved it. The best part was when there was an alert on base and the horn would sound, we would go whippin' across base at 80mph getting to the aircraft. Great times, SAC was awsome. Missions were long though average was about 13 hours, let me tell you it's not like flying commercial. I was stationed at Castle AFB, CA and K.I.I Sayer AFB, Michigan. :flag:

Archived