Diagnosis Help?

page305

Here are the symptoms and hopefully good details.

I get a grinding feeling and sound (harsh hum/grind combo) coming from the driver front side. I've had the alignment checked (by Sears) and all wheels were well within parameters. However, I can see the tire is leaning top inward just by eye. My wheel is turned to 11 o'clock when driving straight and I hear the grinding, it's worse when I turn the truck left but gone (COMPLETELY; noise and vibrations just vanish) when I make a right turn or steer right.

A follow up question; could this also cause false ABS kick-ins (only during the last second or 5mph of a stop)?

Any help would be great as I'm going to buy the parts I need with my Federal tax returns.

* I plan to change rotors, pads, wheel bearings and shocks. While I have it this far apart is there anything else that would be a good idea to replace? Any kind of bushings or stuff like that? I really want my handling back as I've lost alot of it this past year.

Thanks guys,

Jim.

You could have a bad wheel bearing. Did you try to jack up the frontend and see if the wheel has any play in it. If thats not it could be your diff carrier bearing. Grab the drivers side shaft and see if you have any play at the diff shaft were the output shaft bolts up to it. Could also be brakes to but if the wheel is leaning in and it only makes noises when you turn I would say it was probably awheel bearing. Also did they alighn your frontend or just check it. If the did and your wheel bearing is that bad you might want to get that fixed and have them check it again.

Thanks guys. I'll be replacing that asap.

To answer Mr P, yes it's all the time (straight and left turn) and stops completely when making a right turn.

I'm tech illiterate, is there a difference between a wheel bearing and wheel hub? Does it involve a CV joint? I've looked through my haynes but don't understand 100%.