Gear Noise

I normally drive in 2wd until there is a good amount of snow on the roads. I placed in 4wd last week and I heard a rotational gear noise coming from under the truck. Everytime I placed it back in 2wd the noise went away. I changed the tranfer case and differential fluids 25k miles ago w/ Mobil 1 and Auto Trac II. I replaced the transfer case fluid after hearing the noise; and it didn't fix anything. I checked the level in the front differential and it is still full. What could cause that noise that I'm hearing?

It's normal when the 4WD is engaged, my Tahoe makes similar noises as well. The noises you hear are from the front diff, from what I have read it is normal....

:withstupid:

I would have to agree my last 4WD trucks have made that same sound you are describing although my ss does not. :)

:withstupid:

I would have to agree my last 4WD trucks have made that same sound you are describing although my ss does not. :)

Last two winters I haven't heard this noise....... at least not as noticable as it is now. If it gets any lounder than I'll start to get worried.