Tranmission Problems

hey guys

I am having some problems with my tranny and could use some insight. When i go wot or kick it down to pass someone it winds out in first and goes to neutral. When I drive it slow it goes through all gears no problem. If i hit it in first to 5k rpm then let off gas it will go to second but if i keep my foot pinned it winds out. An idea whats wrong and if i need a rebuilt what should i put in it for shift kit and servos etc.

Thanks guys

It's either a pressure or friction problem. Most likely friction. It sounds like to me that your 2nd clutch pack might be going or gone. Do you have similar symptoms when you try to go from 2-3 gear or 3-4 4-3? Only to fix it is to have the trans pulled and cracked open or replaced with a built one. What power mods do you have? Depending on your power level, I would suggest swinging for a 4L80E swap now rather than mess with the 4L65E. I wish I had.

It's either a pressure or friction problem. Most likely friction. It sounds like to me that your 2nd clutch pack might be going or gone. Do you have similar symptoms when you try to go from 2-3 gear or 3-4 4-3? Only to fix it is to have the trans pulled and cracked open or replaced with a built one. What power mods do you have? Depending on your power level, I would suggest swinging for a 4L80E swap now rather than mess with the 4L65E. I wish I had.

I have a wheatley tune, volant cai and corsa sport exhaust, 160stat. 1st to second an second to 3rd are the problems. But they all work fine at low rpm. If I get th 3/4 ton tranny will my tune have to be adjusted for it. There is a 4l65e for 1200 shipped with 14k on it. Could I beef that up. What parts should I order to beef it up If that is a good route. Thanks

I would avoid a used stock 4L65E, especially for that price. If I recall, you could get a nice rebuild from Sprayed99's father for not much more than that with excellent internals. FLT, Rossler, and performabuilt are all nice units as well, but you will be well north of $2k for each. Most of the units are warrantied for a period of time. A 4L80E swap could run you upwards of $3-4k if you use a stock unit, more if you purchase a performance built unit. I think with your mod level, you could probably get away with a 4L65E from one of the performance shops. Best advice I can give is do it right the first time because if you scrimp now, you might pay more later. I chose a local shop who provided a warranty and they stood behind their product when it went out again on me. It still ended up costing me what a stocker 4L80E would have cost. But I also understand that a budget is a budget and that has a huge affect on the decision process. Keep in mind, some of the biggest cost is removal and installation, about $400-600 depending on the shop.

I would avoid a used stock 4L65E, especially for that price. If I recall, you could get a nice rebuild from Sprayed99's father for not much more than that with excellent internals. FLT, Rossler, and performabuilt are all nice units as well, but you will be well north of $2k for each. Most of the units are warrantied for a period of time. A 4L80E swap could run you upwards of $3-4k if you use a stock unit, more if you purchase a performance built unit. I think with your mod level, you could probably get away with a 4L65E from one of the performance shops. Best advice I can give is do it right the first time because if you scrimp now, you might pay more later. I chose a local shop who provided a warranty and they stood behind their product when it went out again on me. It still ended up costing me what a stocker 4L80E would have cost. But I also understand that a budget is a budget and that has a huge affect on the decision process. Keep in mind, some of the biggest cost is removal and installation, about $400-600 depending on the shop.

Thanks for the advice I looked at those sites they have some quality trannys. I will know more when i get a day off to get it into a shop. Thanks

I went with FLT and I am very happy with mine. Either one will do the job. A friend of mine has the Performabuilt in a F body and it is working well also.

CD

I went with FLT and I am very happy with mine. Either one will do the job. A friend of mine has the Performabuilt in a F body and it is working well also.

CD

thanks, what flt do you have. I was thinking stage 5

Fireman31 above has a performabuilt and seems to be pretty happy with it as well. I think you will find that not only cost might be an obstacle, but also how quickly you need the trans. I think performabuilt was the quicket turn around time. When I was trans shopping, almost two years keep in mind, FLT had a 1-2month wait. Rossler was over a month wait, and Performabuilt was only two weeks. I have no clue what the wait times are now for any of these shops though, you would have to call them to find out.

Fireman31 above has a performabuilt and seems to be pretty happy with it as well. I think you will find that not only cost might be an obstacle, but also how quickly you need the trans. I think performabuilt was the quicket turn around time. When I was trans shopping, almost two years keep in mind, FLT had a 1-2month wait. Rossler was over a month wait, and Performabuilt was only two weeks. I have no clue what the wait times are now for any of these shops though, you would have to call them to find out.

Yeah I wanted an FLT trans, but couldn't wait 5 weeks for one since the SS was my daily driver at that time. Performabuilt got it to me in 2 weeks. You may have better luck this time of year, since it is winter and the entire country almost has been getting snowed in recently......call and find out.

Okay guys here's the deal, I'm in a province in canada on the border of maine. I can get a tranny shipped with a new converter to maine for free. Now here the problem is this tranny completely ****ed or could there be something easy to fix on this. As of right now I have no second gear but all other works fine at low speeds. I am only going to be here for one more week and need to make a decision and I can't get the time off work to get into a tranny shop.

Should I wait till I go home and see my mechanic because it could be an easy problem or order now and get it in before i leave. It is not shifting right I have reverse drive and 3rd and 1st. Could it be a modual or a dirty filter or am I ****ed. Someone with some knowledge please give me a hand as I don't have much time to make a decision. Thanks guys I'm a little stressed. The truck has 97000 kilometers on it.

Edited by Rocky81 (see edit history)

Sounds to me like you have a 2-4 band that is smoked and likely more than that. I'd recomend a Rossler. The built units are quite pricey, but you'll find that most of the built units don't have problems and most of the local built units do. There is no better way to look at it. If I were going to buy a trans and not build my own I'd certainly go with a Rossler. I can't say I wouldn't also recomend an FLT, RPM, or Performabuilt also though, Rossler has just been great to my friends and customers and build one hell of a nice unit.