Riding On E

catdaddy300

i hardly let mine get so low that the light comes on but come close fairly often...its hard to keep a full tank these days, especially as a college kid driving a 13mpg speed demon. I did fill up today with the low fuel light on though :( wont happen again!

Edited by zachm89 (see edit history)

I guess I haven't heard the dangers of letting the fuel tank get that low?

The fuel in your tank actually cools your fuel pump, obviously the pump does create some heat. By running the tank low, the pump has to work harder and can actually overheat if it gets pushed, since there isn't sufficient fuel in the tank to disperse the heat. Not to mention, you also pick up what ever crap is in the bottom of the tank.....

The fuel in your tank actually cools your fuel pump, obviously the pump does create some heat. By running the tank low, the pump has to work harder and can actually overheat if it gets pushed, since there isn't sufficient fuel in the tank to disperse the heat. Not to mention, you also pick up what ever crap is in the bottom of the tank.....

Thanks for the info :cheers: . I will stop being lazy and fill at a quarter tank.

Yeah this might be true but that is why the fuel pump is inside of the fuel bucket. It is always surrounded by fuel no matter what the level is in the tank. however too low of fuel can couse cavitation which is bad on the pump.

Yeah this might be true but that is why the fuel pump is inside of the fuel bucket. It is always surrounded by fuel no matter what the level is in the tank. however too low of fuel can couse cavitation which is bad on the pump.

My drivers burn out about 1/2 dozen fuel pumps each year because many of them like to run the vans to E all the time, it can and does happen....

The first time i ever saw my truck on E was when i bought it and i was like WTF!! I immediately filled it up and it was the last time i ever saw it on E. Ive seen my best friends dad go through hell working on his sierra because he always rolled on E so i never want to go through that mess man.

I agree I've seen this happen on a number of these trucks including my last one the day after I bought it. Now I never let my truck go below 1/4 tank. :)