Replacing An Nv149 With A Borg Warner Tcase..

Well i as some of you may have noticed i have a borg warner Tcase and i had a guy inquire but his 02 had a NV149 is it possible to replace with a borg warner...let me know guys thanks :cheers:

Edited by OneSlickSilvy (see edit history)

I would imagine it is very possible to do, but I also don’t believe it would function 100% correctly either. Both are 1-speed, full-time AWD units, but they differ in the way power is applied. As you may already know, the NVG-149 is totally mechanical in nature without any electronics involved. It uses a viscous coupler to split the power front to rear and vice/versa. Where as the BW-4481 is an open differential type, that works in conjunction with the ABS to control the split of power.

• 2 weeks later...

yes...

It was going to be an option for me, based on what my transfer case looked like when the tech split her open..

The internals where like new, so he just replaced the bearings for shits and giggles and speed sensor and seals...

I was told the rear drive shaft is a bolt in, but the front shaft is shorter...I was under the impression that the escalade shaft would work, with mods...

Good luck finding a decent 149 transfer case,,,

yes...

It was going to be an option for me, based on what my transfer case looked like when the tech split her open..

The internals where like new, so he just replaced the bearings for shits and giggles and speed sensor and seals...

I was told the rear drive shaft is a bolt in, but the front shaft is shorter...I was under the impression that the escalade shaft would work, with mods...

NV-149's are not that hard to find... have you had trouble? try time2kill on this site

yes...

enjoy front wheel burn outs. that case will only transfer power if the brakes are applied to the wheels that are spinning. which is the reason i went to a 149 case.