Engine Loading And Reduced Mileage

For the last few months I've been having an issue with my truck that I can't figure out.

The symptoms are dramatically reduced mileage (about 25% less) and about 10-15% more throttle required to do everything at light loads. When I'm driving around town light acceleration seems to take slightly more throttle and and I hear the intake growl all the time now. My favourite slight grade going up the street to my home use to be light throttle all the way up. Now it's alittle more throttle and a downshift. It's almost like I'm pulling a small trailer around and the truck is loaded down. On the other side of things full throttle performance doesn't 'seem' to be affected. One of the reasons I posted this is I just found out today a loud rattle I've had for about the same amount of time is inside one of my cats.

My Loud Rattle

This I've done lately to try and fix this:

New Air Filter

Cleaned MAF and TB

New plugs and wires

New fuel filter

My truck has only 50,000 miles on it so I'm alittle annoyed.

Thoughts anyone?

Regards,

Dan :confused:

I think you already have your answer, the rattle you hear is a degrading cat, which can drastically reduce the driveability and efficiency of your truck. This isn't something you should let go, I would fix it ASAP.....

I think you already have your answer, the rattle you hear is a degrading cat, which can drastically reduce the driveability and efficiency of your truck. This isn't something you should let go, I would fix it ASAP.....

The next step then...............the GM cat will probably be $500 or more (just guessing but I'll know tomorrow) so let's talk Magnaflow or SLP high flow cats. Any suggestions?

Regards,

Dan :(

That warranty is only good if they can't blame the problem on any engine mods you have. (been there, lost that battle and GM wanted $1400 to replace them :wtf: ). I bought some used cats from a member here who was getting rid of his cats. Also Random Technology makes a good high flow cat. In any event, get it taken care of soon, if they are plugging up, it can damage your engine.

Edited by dcairns (see edit history)