For Everyone Who Has Wondered....

ok thanks so is it a strong tranny?

Seems like it's a luck of the draw. I replaced mine at 63000 miles with just a couple of bolt ons. Your driving habbits, and your maintanence habbits......and the guy who owned it before you, and his habbits

Here is the post-mortum. The input shaft was loose where it attaches to the drum. There was a spiral crack in the part of the drum that holds the input shaft, which is how it got loose. The replacement has a steel band to help prevent this in the future. The shaft being loose seems to be what caused the 3/4 clutches to fail, as the input shaft moves out, it cuts off oil supply. At least that is as near as I can remember it. I don't know transmissions very well. :P

• 2 weeks later...
There is a local shop, Orange County Transmission (www.octrans.net), that will be fixing it. They have a great reputation with the local hot rodding folks, for building upgraded transmissions. He just built an upgraded 700r4 for my 64 Impala. He just did another supercharged Silverado SS from a guy named Greg (not sure if he hangs out here). It won't be cheap, but it should be bullet proof. I think I will go for a slightly higher stall speed on the converter.

Any suggestions on what treatments I should be looking for? I am guessing they will have it covered, but don't want to miss any good upgrades.

I would check the upgrade list on Finish Line LvL 5 or 6 or Performabuilt Lvl3 for a list of upgrqades they use. Seem to last in high power rigs.