Nightmare Header Intall!

first off my exhaust guy welded everything in. so i had to cut the cats out before and after it under the truck just to get the midpipes out. when i was taking my manifolds off all the bolts came out easy except for one. the drivers side near the firewall (3 inches away to be exact) was already broken off in the head. fml. i also noticed i cross threaded one of the damn spark plugs in. im a mess. lol the header on the passenger side went right on except its pinning the tranny cooler lines. i put the stock pcm in so the truck is stalling at every stop and about 5 times everytime i try to pull into a spot. so i either gotta pull the head. or i gotta see if my exhaust guy can do it. either way im screwed here. i got nothing else to drive other than my bike and its kinda cold and the roads are full of gravel and crap. anyway thats my story for today on the header intall. :rant:

Geez man, wish I could have been there to help. This is why install parties are so important! I hope your exhaust guy can help you out......keep us posted......

I ainst scared to yank the head for him, HE IS!! hahah, sorry Rob, had to say it. you are in a tight spot, I would let you drive one of my cars, but i need em... son of a...

seriously, if your exhaust guy gives you a stupid price, we can do this. its EASY, just will take time, I am sure we can re-tap the spark plug hole, and prolly even drill out that broken bolt on the bench, problem is, we will need head bolts and one gasket to put it back together. I say we go for it. I am SURE it will save you a few hundred bucks and besides, he is gonna need it for a day or two anyway. I work till 4 on Monday so let me know what you are doin. I am game for making a mess in your work driveway!! we can have it off tomorrow before Lunch if you want. put it together Monday night...

-C-

chris im gonna throw the other header on. bring it to the muffler shop and leave it for monday. he said he would do it first thing if i needed him. so i can stop there and ask him what he things about that bolt. if he doesnt wanna tackle it or if it will cost too much ill bring it back to the shop and order the parts from the dealer. ill let you know. nothing ever, i repeat, ever works out. my dad gave me the "i f@$%ing told you not to do headers!" lol o well. live and learn. i would have done it anyway :P

chris im gonna throw the other header on. bring it to the muffler shop and leave it for monday. he said he would do it first thing if i needed him. so i can stop there and ask him what he things about that bolt. if he doesnt wanna tackle it or if it will cost too much ill bring it back to the shop and order the parts from the dealer. ill let you know. nothing ever, i repeat, ever works out. my dad gave me the "i f@$%ing told you not to do headers!" lol o well. live and learn. i would have done it anyway :P

.......No pain no gain..lol, a couple of years from now you can look back at this and laugh. Sounds like your keeping a good attitude about it. There is always going to be someone around that's gonna say I told you so. Do your best to ignore them, and keep on going. Chris is one hell of a wrench, and knows his s#%t. You are in good hands.

Edited by SS Muscle Truck (see edit history)

.......No pain no gain..lol, a couple of years from now you can look back at this and laugh. Sounds like your keeping a good attitude about it. There is always going to be someone around that's gonna say I told you so. Do your best to ignore them, and keep on going. Chris is one hell of a wrench, and knows his s#%t. You are in good hands.

Thanks Joe!!!

Rob, let me know buddy, we can do this, I am NOT worried bout it. I know you you havent been into one of these motors, but I tell you, they are CAKE to work on.

And YES, i am a TOOL! especially a WRENCH ;)

well after working on it all day finally got the other header on. the bolt ended up gettin drilled and tapped the hole back to 8mm i think is what they are. so thank god for my dad. he fixed my mess up again!. well it wasnt my fault. but i HAD to do headers! lol so now it sits at the exhaust shop. gettin the cats and midpipe put on. put the new 02s in. my new gaskets and spark plug wires will be in tomorrow. what studs or bolts you recommend to replace the factory ones with?

well after working on it all day finally got the other header on. the bolt ended up gettin drilled and tapped the hole back to 8mm i think is what they are. so thank god for my dad. he fixed my mess up again!. well it wasnt my fault. but i HAD to do headers! lol so now it sits at the exhaust shop. gettin the cats and midpipe put on. put the new 02s in. my new gaskets and spark plug wires will be in tomorrow. what studs or bolts you recommend to replace the factory ones with?

factory bolts with lock washers! work like a champ. cheep and easy too. and your dad looked a lil pissed but he had a great idea, and it worked for the best!! nice work, and see, a lil frustration got you NO where!

Good to hear its done!

Glad to hear it's fixed Rob, did he tap the spark plug threads too? At least you didn't have to pull the head. AFA the midpipe fange bolts go, OE works well like Chris said, or if you can find stainless bolts/lock washers/nuts, they will work too......