Being Audited By The Irs

Jaymz

So not only did I have to pay in huge this year, but I just got a letter in the mail today from the IRS stating I own an additional $7,8XX.XX for my 2008 tax season, and all my 1099 Incomes are "Pending investigation"

Has anyone been audited before ? I have to admit I'm a little freaked out, Guess I thought It would never happen to me.

Any advice ? I'm going back to HR Block Tuesday to see if they can help me out any.. since I filed with them..

This couldn't have come at a worse time :cry:

dont they stand behind their work if you get audited? if they did your taxes you shouldnt be liable for it i wouldnt think

I agree with Kevin. If H&R block did your taxes and you turned in everything that you know of like extra income etc, then it will be H&R blocks ass not yours. That's why I have a CPA do mine. So if your showed everything your suppose to, then don't worry about.

I agree with Kevin. If H&R block did your taxes and you turned in everything that you know of like extra income etc, then it will be H&R blocks ass not yours. That's why I have a CPA do mine. So if your showed everything your suppose to, then don't worry about.

well thats also what I'm really hoping.. Guess we'll see tuesday. Just wasn't sure if I should start looking for a tax lawyer or wait it out. Only have 30 days to get something figured out.

dont they stand behind their work if you get audited? if they did your taxes you shouldnt be liable for it i wouldnt think

You are always liable for your taxes. You appoint the CPA or tax perfessional you also sign off on it. They will stand behind you to help you with the audit, but if you in fact have to pay more.... you will be paying more not HR Block or any other tax prefessional.

hope you got the peace of mind from h&r, they fvcked us big time last year and were gonna owe about 5k, but since we purchased that they had to eat it.

I'm with Shaun on this one, BUT , ANY tax preparation agency is gonna put the bill on YOU if the bill is big enough and you don't have your shit together. I personally don't screw around with taxes. I have a CPA do mine and he is by the book for the most part. I have partners who use CPA's that streeeeeetch the rules a bit. My partners sign off on it and in the end, it's their ass, not the CPA Co. The bottom line is that they can only prepare what you give them. AND they will sometimes stretch the rules based on your approval, but in the end you are the one responsible. Sounds like Shaun had the perfect situation where they had NO defense so they paid the difference. My personal opinion...GET A TAX ATTORNEY INVOLVED NOW. If they review your case and tell you you have nothing to worry about, you are out a couple of hundred bucks. If you say the hell with it and handle it on your own, the IRS could hammer you for a shit load plus fines/fees. Just my opinion, but unfortunately sometimes you have to get YOUR lawyers involved before they'll cut you any slack.

Two things in life....Death and Taxes!

You will pay and you will die. SO I would not get too worried, you cant pay what you dont have and given this economy I have heard some stories about settling for less amounts? (REad=get a good tax laywer).

Keep all your papers. This is why I am leary of tax services, you love them when they 'find' a random deduction, but when this happens it was probably not worth the few bucks it save'd you.

I do my own, I take few exemptions. this way I pay more or over estimate my tax, then figure it out when I actually do them.

Dont let it get you down, it will run its course and you will be fine and more educated on our great tax system :)

great i just filed with hrblock friday although mines all simple stuff only 3 w2's and 1099 form for unemployment with no deductions or anything I just hate messing with taxes I would rather just pay someone to do them and not worry about it.

I started thinkin today... wonder if this has anything to do with the 7,500 I got in 2008 for my new hours purchase... kind of odd the amount I'm so Called "short" is how much dumbass obama gave us... :wtf:

Just trying to keep my mind off of it untill tuesday :cheers: