Dyno'd The Camaro

this has absolutely nothing to do with anything SSS, so if your still interested, im just sharing some info and time spent on my camaro. :chevy: some of this is going to go right over some peoples heads, but everyone can at least get some solid HP gains and numbers for the LS3 out of it lol.

i finally got time to put the camaro on the dyno to get it tuned for the new stuff i recently put on. everyone asks me if i have plans for this like i had for the truck, but things just arent the same as before, if that makes sense... :seeya: so after tipping my 'camaro jar' over, i got the funds to get the first two things i had set in my goal- long tube headers and cold air intake. i went with a set of Kooks 1 7/8" headers with highflow cats, and a Rotofab intake. i dont have pictures of the stuff, unfortunately. i will get some in a few minutes.

so when i did the baseline on the car, it put down about 346 whp. a little low, and i was a little let down. i was even more suprised when i found that there is almost no power to be had with these by tuning them when stock(LS3 at least). after several rounds of tunes flashed, it only picked up 3 whp, totalling 349 whp.

today, after the headers and intake went on, i had still been running on my same original tune, thinking it wouldnt make much difference and had been so busy. the initial baseline run today was 381 whp. WOW i was happy already. but the AFR was over 13.7:1 almost the entire time, and had 5 degrees of KR. the commanded AFR for the PE was 11.8:1, so the MAF tables were clearly way off. there were several runs in between, but the final number ended up being 409 whp / 402 wtq. im very happy with it, to say the least. so to sum that up, the factory castings and intake are HORRIBLE (unlike the trucks, which have fairly well-flowing units for both). also this is a GREAT lesson for those who dont fully understand how a credit card MAF differs from a truck-type MAF with a housing. The housing around the MAF is what determines how acurate the readings are, which is a big reason why many vehicles throw a MAF code with the addition of a new intake. its NOT from the oil that cotton gauze filters have! (i hate that misconception, that K&N filters from factory will 'contaminate' your MAF. its rediculous. unless someone overcoats the hell out of the filter after cleaning, its just not happening, and wont) SO headers and a damn air filter and i picked up 60 at the wheels?!!? thats damn good from my experience at least :) since my dyno computer has no printer (thanks to Hurricane Wilma), and no internet (again, Wilma lol), your just gunna have to take my word for it :jester: tried plugging my iphone in and throwing the files on there but, apparently windows 2000 and USB 1.0 dont take kindly to iphones :lol: BUT i do have like two pictures and a video!

th_IMG_0398.jpg

thats super good, isnt that sorta of an abnormal gain for just headers and an intake?

it is, unless the car has lousy peices from the factory, but a really well flowing head and intake manifold. the LS3/LS7 rectangular OEM rough castings make our CNC'd 243 (cathedral type) heads look rediculous lol :rolleyes:

+50 hp is allways good :cheers: how much did the ss put down?

well i got alot more than 50 on the camaro... it went from about 407 hp (sadly) to around 478 hp at the crank. put it this way, my Z06 baselined 432 whp. we tend to have a conservative dyno. SSS made about 510 whp w/o spray, with three trans slipping codes. and no i dont have a converter lol, its stock. that was a few weeks back, now the car has one forward gear :banghead: always something lol, :uhoh:

Whats up with the wheels on the SSS, is the paint chipping off or is that light reflecting off the rims?

i was just waiting for someone to catch that :cry:

my hospital has a HUUUUGGGEEE curb going all the way winding into the parking garage, and i guess i was still dizzy and nauseous, and the back right wheel caught it, pretty bad. took several inches right down to the chrome. and these are powder coated too :sad: :cry:

it is, unless the car has lousy peices from the factory, but a really well flowing head and intake manifold. the LS3/LS7 rectangular OEM rough castings make our CNC'd 243 (cathedral type) heads look rediculous lol :rolleyes:

well i got alot more than 50 on the camaro... it went from about 407 hp (sadly) to around 478 hp at the crank. put it this way, my Z06 baselined 432 whp. we tend to have a conservative dyno. SSS made about 510 whp w/o spray, with three trans slipping codes. and no i dont have a converter lol, its stock. that was a few weeks back, now the car has one forward gear :banghead: always something lol, :uhoh:

wow so ur camaro has close to what ur Z06 dynoed at? makes me think more about getting a camaro next instead of Z06. It'd be nice to have more than 2 seats also. wonder if you can get those kind of gains on a Z06 with the same mods? good info

Very nice gains!

Im guessing you have the stock cat back on their, unless you already swapped it? I dont know what the Camaro's sound like stock.....

Sorry to hear about your rims, at the hospital I visit they only allow Valet parking so I go with them when they park it and go to retrieve it. I swear the first time I let them do it alone, the guy took it for a joy ride as my gas gauge was considerably less than when I left it. Hope your doing well Jon.

yeah its the stock cat-back. i absolutely hate drone, and the stock mufflers are pretty much straight through so i figured why spend another $1k for shiney mufflers lol. and yeah, the LS3 doesnt seem to need much work to catch up to a stock LS7 as far as peak numbers. the LS7 has a good deal of more power throughout the curve though, with all that extra displacement. but honestly, numbers aside... there is nothing like a Z06 (for under $150k), you name it and ive driven it, hard lol. and the Z06 is by far in the top 3, no doubt. they dont get enough credit for what they really are. if you can pop the extra cash out for the Z, dont even look at a camaro