402 Stroker And California Emissions Testing

no, but it would be pretty hard to get it breathing with stock manifolds. I bet the power would be the same 408 vs 6.0L SC

I think you have to visually have cats.

and pass the sniffer and code readyness check. dont know for sure.

im pretty sure having any after market motors is a mando. fail.....but they prob wouldnt be able to tell, not sure about the tune but def exhaust is #1, u could prob pass a snifer with just lt's but not a visual, cause u have to either relocate or delete the cats....not an expert but i hope this help :cheers:

Well, I am assuming the engine looks kosher from the outside, just has the stroker crank, rods, pistons. Cats and intake would remain (or in my case, the CARB Legal Radix, although that would become a bottleneck).

What I am curious about is if the increased volume of exhaust from the higher displacement would push it out of compliance with the sniffer. I am not sure how those sniffers operate. They measure in Parts Per Million, but I don’t what assumptions underlie that. If it is strictly PPM then the 402 will (in theory) be putting out the same, just more volume of exhaust. Think of it like a percentage. On the other hand, if the sniffer has assumptions about the volume of gas passing by, then it may cause the pollutant count to go up. Even then, since they have to give a bit of leeway for cars that are not in perfect condition, it might be possible for a stroker to squeak by.

Well, I am assuming the engine looks kosher from the outside, just has the stroker crank, rods, pistons. Cats and intake would remain (or in my case, the CARB Legal Radix, although that would become a bottleneck).

What I am curious about is if the increased volume of exhaust from the higher displacement would push it out of compliance with the sniffer. I am not sure how those sniffers operate. They measure in Parts Per Million, but I don't what assumptions underlie that. If it is strictly PPM then the 402 will (in theory) be putting out the same, just more volume of exhaust. Think of it like a percentage. On the other hand, if the sniffer has assumptions about the volume of gas passing by, then it may cause the pollutant count to go up. Even then, since they have to give a bit of leeway for cars that are not in perfect condition, it might be possible for a stroker to squeak by.

like i said its in the tune and exhaust... u might need a tune just to pass then go back to ur everyday after ur done...

A stoker will look just the same as the stock motor. It will have no problem passing visual check. For the sniffer, do some research on how they work, and mod accordingly. I think you'll be fine if you stroked it. Just tune it right.

i f'd up and reset my pcm before my emissions test so they did a sniffer instead of OBDII scan....i was 10x the legal limit at idle with a 364 ci......they failed me. I did not have cats, even with cats, i would think you'd fail i they do the sniffer test. However here they only do the OBDII unless they have to use the sniffer. You should be able to pass a scan test, i past the test before when they just scaned the truck.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

if you can tune it to meet HC/CO for a 6.0L you should be OK. also will have to watch your cam specs. find a good smog shop that will give you the max HC/CO readings at idle, and 2500 rpm, and tune from there..

good luck

if you can tune it to meet HC/CO for a 6.0L you should be OK. also will have to watch your cam specs. find a good smog shop that will give you the max HC/CO readings at idle, and 2500 rpm, and tune from there..

good luck

:withstupid: If you do not go to crazy on the cam and keep the cats it will be in the tune if you pass or not. extreme cams will not pass for sure, and mild cams with out cams wont pass either.

My truck is due for smog this year for the first time and I already have smog shop that will let me put the truck on the sniffer before I test. I will first tune the truck and try to make it pass with my cam and 370 then go from there.

I had a truck smogged and passed with a check engine light due to a bad wiring harness for the knock sensor and a gutted cat. for $75 dollars it will pass.

I would not want to do anything shady and certainly want to keep the spirit of the law. I like to breath clean air. With so many cars in SoCal, we have to make some sacrifices to keep from asphyxiating ourselves. It is just the overbearing control exerted by CARB with regard to any upgrades, that is bothersome..

:withstupid: If you do not go to crazy on the cam and keep the cats it will be in the tune if you pass or not. extreme cams will not pass for sure, and mild cams with out cams wont pass either.

My truck is due for smog this year for the first time and I already have smog shop that will let me put the truck on the sniffer before I test. I will first tune the truck and try to make it pass with my cam and 370 then go from there.

Mine passed it's first test a year ago and did well. I don't think the guy even bothered to check the CARB sticker on the supercharger. I guess that is one nice thing about the Radix, it is so well designed, it looks like original equipment.

i know down where you are they(CHP,EPA) have been running on and off road side spot smog checks for a few years now. there using infer red devices to catch you on the fly, or in traffic. up here it's not a issue yet, but CHP can site you for modified/disconnected/missing on a traffic stop if they want to.. :uhoh:

good luck

:seeya:

Edited by desrtrat (see edit history)

I hear those roadside checks give a lot of false positives. A stroker would not be detectable by such devices anyways. Remember, the only issue would be the increased amount of exhaust gasses coming out the exhaust, the proportions of pollutants would be the same as a stock motor.