Trailer Plug Hook Up

Does anyone know if the main power (hot all the time) on the trailer pluge works on your truck. I need to get constant 12v so I can power the pop solenoids on my tailgate. I got to checking it and its the red wire in the plug that is suppose to be hot at all times but its not. Checked my schematic and its hot at the 30 amp fuse (post 2) but not at the trailer plug. I did take the cover off of the relay block IP (under the dash left of steering wheel) and notice I didn't have a (trailer 6 way) breaker or fuse or whatever is supposed to be plugged in there, empty. Do I need this part plugged in there to make the main hot wire work? I figured this is probably the problem but wanted to ask if someone has ever had to use this for like trailer brakes or whatever. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Guys.

I did some seaching on the web and found a forum site talking about not having any power on the red 12v constant wire. They said there is a dummy fuse in the fuse box under the hood which is red and is the post 1 terminal. They installed a fuse in it and it works. I did notice this red plastic dummy fuse in mine. I wondering if this is why mine doesn't work. stud 1 says STUD #1

Auxiliary Power (Single Battery and Diesels Only)/ Dual Battery (TP2) Do not install fuse

So I don't have a diesel so that's why I just moved on to checking other things.

red is usually the fused wire and can be used to charge aux batteris on trailers it can also be black, it should be fused so i would swap in a new fuse and see where your at

from the trailer plugs (7 pin commercial) i use at work its usually wired this way but sometime the r/v plugs are different . (red/black ,aux pwr), yellow - left turn/stop, green-right turn/stop,brown-running lights,white-ground,blue-trailer brakes .

Are you talking about this fuse? Yes you would want that in place.

missingfuse.JPG

Yes. I don't have a fuse here just a red plastic dummy fuse. So I need to put a 40amp fuse in this spot and it should work. I wonder why gm didn't install this at the factory. Did your truck come with?

Did your truck come with?

Nope, that is why I took that picture back in '03. This is also where Magnacharger has you hook up for power for the intercooler pump on a Radix. No fuse, no pump. No pump, no intercooling :wacko: