Twin Turbo Zr1...

The intercooler for that supercharger is sufficient for itself, but I can't imagine it being efficient enough to cool the compressed air from two turbos. I'm sure it is a nice secondary, but hope they have an air to air on it as well. Either way, gutting a supercharger is not uncommon. Grand Prix GTP L67 owners who have converted to turbo have also just used the supercharger housing as the intake. They would remove the rotors/guts/snout and put a block off plate where the snout attaches. Just that the M90 on the L67 was non-intercooled. Plus, I can see from an asthetic point of view why they would want to keep the supercharger housing with the shroud/cover visible through the hood?

sorry its just wrong to do that to a ZR1. If he bought a Z06 it would have been 100% better. Very hackish...did not change the badges...youknow its not hard to get a new badge saying turbocharged instead of supercharged?

you buy the baddest vette and take it apart...like getting a SS and putting a turbo 4.8 in it...yea its cool, yea its got some power, but you wrecked a cool ass car for what????

I certainly see your point, however, I dont think that supercharger probably could never achieve those power numbers. It has been done to Ford GT's and many others. Heck, Cobra guys go turbo for big power. Even some guys on here are going twin turbo to get the power output desired. I do understand how you feel because it is a limited edition model, but if they can do it, why not? You know the guy has $200k into the car probably.

sorry its just wrong to do that to a ZR1. If he bought a Z06 it would have been 100% better. Very hackish...did not change the badges...youknow its not hard to get a new badge saying turbocharged instead of supercharged?

you buy the baddest vette and take it apart...like getting a SS and putting a turbo 4.8 in it...yea its cool, yea its got some power, but you wrecked a cool ass car for what????

I disagree here, Its not like they took a ZR1 and put an ls1 in it then TT'ed it. And its no different than us further modifying out trucks. We have the baddest of the chevy line of truck yet, we pursue more.

I certainly see your point, however, I dont think that supercharger probably could never achieve those power numbers. It has been done to Ford GT's and many others. Heck, Cobra guys go turbo for big power. Even some guys on here are going twin turbo to get the power output desired. I do understand how you feel because it is a limited edition model, but if they can do it, why not? You know the guy has $200k into the car probably.

:withstupid: The supercharger hit its limits with the bigger motor and the best way to make big power is with a pair of hairdryers. And just because they did a TT, doesn't mean it was a hacked up kit that was installed.

I dont see this being like us modding our trucks...when guys build here they usually think it out way in advance...but this being out before the grandsport might have been the only plan to get the carbon brakes...which cost as much as our trucks :)

What do you mean by "think way out in advance"? I'm sure Nelson performance didn't just wake up and say lets do a twint urbo ZR1. I'm sure they had a customer, with a lot of money, who said he wanted one. I'm fairly certain the build was planned, but moved quicker than normal because cash can make a project like that move fast. Often times, our builds take long because we do the work ourselves on the side and are limited to piecing a kit together financially. Chase for example, he could have had his truck done months ago with his twin turbo build had he just taken it to a performance shop, handed them the truck and $50k and said see you in a month. Happens at Katech and Lingenfelter frequently. Also, the ZR1 has been out on the streets now for almost a year right? However, I do get your point that its almost like taking a '63 vette split window with matching numbers and all original paint, ripping out the SBC, swapping in a 572ci, and tubing it for the strip. With that said, if I had $200k to blow, I would probably just get a Ferrari and skip the vette altogether. Thats the beauty of being an auto performance enthusiast, we are all unique and like different things. Otherwise, all sports cars would have the same motors with the same mods.

I can kind of see the point that hes trying to make... b/c basically the S/C'r and drivetrain are what make the ZR1 special... take a Z06 and make those mods IMO.

Why deconstruct a supercar to rebuild another way when you could've taken the less-super car and build it up to this same point? With all the additional money that was spent to get the ZR1 it seems silly to take down all those upgrades to rebuild it a different way versus buying Z costing almost half the price and building up a TT version. My bet is just to say you have the worlds first TT ZR1.

In the end, its someone elses car and money so if they're happy with it more power to them. Looks like fun.

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

the guy who bought it is obviously just a show boater thats has no idea on how a car should be built and what car to build and what car not to build. he wanted the flash of a zr1 to be like "look at me" to get the attention. i agree 100% that he should of built the z06 instead of degrading the zr1 of everything it was worth. imo. but hey what ever floats your boat :boat: