How Many Miles Is To Many

Hi guys I have 80,000 mi on my 04 sss, and I was wondering if that is to many for a supercharger. It will more than likely be a magnacharger kit. If its not to many miles is there some percausion that i should take to inssure that I don't blow the hell out of my motor. thanks guys.

my truck had a blower on it with 80k then a turbo at 90k and then on the bottle at like 120k. the ls motors are STOUT!!!! ur gonna need a good tune, watch the front diff and the shift kit, servos, etc....

good luck !!!

• 2 months later...

great question.....i have 100K and i really want a Procharger.....w/ shift kit, servos, and maybe a Perforance torque converter too......Of course by the time i have 5-6 grand for it the truck will prob have 150K haha

• 3 months later...

The bottom-ends of the LQ9's wear very, very well. If it has been on the road this long and been well cared for then the only worry I would have would be the valve seats and valvetrain, because that's what 'wears' in a properly maintained engine. If you want to be absolutely sure, then check for (1) oil consumption, and (2) compression loss. Pull the spark plugs and inspect the ceramic for signs of oil consumption. Use a compression gauge (cheapest) or a leakdown gauge (best) to make sure that all cylinders are still mechanically in good condition. But in 6-years of working on late-model truck motors we've never run into bone-stock motor with a dead hole or other compression issue.

Other things to keep in mind:

A new timing chain and cam sprocket only cost $50-60 from the dealer, and will restore lost MPG and power. I would highly recommend replacing these on higher mileage motors because it would really suck to have your supercharged truck not running as well as it could be just because of a stretched timing chain.

If you are going to increase your shift-points over stock then I would strongly recommend installing new upgraded valvesprings - in high mileage motors it is not uncommon for valvesprings to have lost 10-15% of their original pressure and you will really risk floating the valvetrain if you significantly raise the shift points in your tune. On ANY forced induction application (even with the stock cam & lifters) you will measurably benefit from getting stronger pushrods, new valvesprings, lighter tool steel locks/retainers, and new valve stem seals. Valve stem seals are especially important, you don't want to have detonation because your worn-out seals are sucking oil down the exhaust valve into the chambers.

IMO if you're gonna put 5-grand into a blower, spend another few hundred and shore-up the worn-out factory valvetrain.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)