Front Speakers Aren't Working

I was driving in my 04 SSS today and noticed I was only getting sound out of the rear speakers. I tried adjusting the radio so only the fronts would be working and all sound went away. I've never touched the back of the radio so I can't see how any wires could have come loose. The guy at best buy said it could be the radio went bad or the factory amplifier. Has anybody else ever had this problem, or know where the amplifier might be located? Right now I have the factory Bose 6 disc in it.

I was driving in my 04 SSS today and noticed I was only getting sound out of the rear speakers. I tried adjusting the radio so only the fronts would be working and all sound went away. I've never touched the back of the radio so I can't see how any wires could have come loose. The guy at best buy said it could be the radio went bad or the factory amplifier. Has anybody else ever had this problem, or know where the amplifier might be located? Right now I have the factory Bose 6 disc in it.

My left front speaker went out last year so I replaced both front's - I thought it was the amp. Make sure you check both speakers before replacing the amp & or radio.

The chances of all four speakers(mids and tweets) blowing all at once? Slim to none. Unless some speakers were gone and you didn't notice, sounds like an amp problem to me.

Easy to test... pop off an a-pillar an hook a test speaker to the tweeter(the tweeter wiring is common with the doors). No sound, then bad amp. The deck only sends out a 2 channel output to the amp, and the amp controls the fader through data from the deck, so more then likely a bad amp.

The amp outputs the chimes and onstar through the front speakers, no fronts... then no chimes.

Good luck

Paul

The chances of all four speakers(mids and tweets) blowing all at once? Slim to none. Unless some speakers were gone and you didn't notice, sounds like an amp problem to me.

Easy to test... pop off an a-pillar an hook a test speaker to the tweeter(the tweeter wiring is common with the doors). No sound, then bad amp. The deck only sends out a 2 channel output to the amp, and the amp controls the fader through data from the deck, so more then likely a bad amp.

The amp outputs the chimes and onstar through the front speakers, no fronts... then no chimes.

Good luck

Paul

Thanx, I will take a look today. Can it be replaced with any amp, or will I have to get another factory one like it?

Thanx, I will take a look today. Can it be replaced with any amp, or will I have to get another factory one like it?

The easiest option is to just get another factory one, since it's a five channel amp. If you go aftermarket your have to change all your speakers and you'll lose the sub. A repair shop should be able to fix it too, it doesn't hurt to get them to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
The easiest option is to just get another factory one, since it's a five channel amp. If you go aftermarket your have to change all your speakers and you'll lose the sub. A repair shop should be able to fix it too, it doesn't hurt to get them to check it out.

Well today I lost the rear speakers as well. Looks like the amp must be the problem. You had said I may be able to get it repaired, any ideas as to where that would be. Like what kind of business. Or even a place I can get a cheaper version of factory. Chevrolet quoted me 650 bucks today, I could almost buy my in dash DVD player for that much. I may have to take that route instead of replacing the amp.

I would just take it to any local electronics repair place and ask. My old work used to be a gm radio service back when gm used to contract radio repairs out. Some radios had to be shipped out, some stuff was repaired in house.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to post ebay links, but i did a search and found a couple amps under $100. Any 03-07 bose pickup non-luxury amp should work.

I've run into blown amps a few times with nasty results. I'm an installer and a customer would come in and say 'my radio is acting funny'. So of course the salesmen are greedy (and dumb) and sell a customer a new deck, hand me a work order to install a new unit, and don't mention that the customers radio doesn't work properly. And of course the new deck doesn't work properly because their amp is bad, and I look like I don't know what I'm doing. Last time it happened, I asked the customer, 'didn't you tell the salesman that you had sound problems?' And of course he did... so guess who gets to rewire the truck? Lucky me.

Sorry for the rant... :banghead:

p.s. I never listen to salesmen, I worked with way to many that didn't care about what you want, just interested in selling what is spiffed that day. :coold:

I would just take it to any local electronics repair place and ask. My old work used to be a gm radio service back when gm used to contract radio repairs out. Some radios had to be shipped out, some stuff was repaired in house.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to post ebay links, but i did a search and found a couple amps under $100. Any 03-07 bose pickup non-luxury amp should work.

I've run into blown amps a few times with nasty results. I'm an installer and a customer would come in and say 'my radio is acting funny'. So of course the salesmen are greedy (and dumb) and sell a customer a new deck, hand me a work order to install a new unit, and don't mention that the customers radio doesn't work properly. And of course the new deck doesn't work properly because their amp is bad, and I look like I don't know what I'm doing. Last time it happened, I asked the customer, 'didn't you tell the salesman that you had sound problems?' And of course he did... so guess who gets to rewire the truck? Lucky me.

Sorry for the rant... :banghead:

p.s. I never listen to salesmen, I worked with way to many that didn't care about what you want, just interested in selling what is spiffed that day. :coold:

Thanx for the reply. I'm going to work on taking it out tomorrow so I can get a part number off it. Then look at ebay and the local salvage yards for another. I refuse to pay chevrolet for a new one. Poor truck seems to be falling apart. I think I'm getting a short in my left blinker now even. For only 6 years old I wouldn't think it would have this many issues. And of course the extended warranty is up. Go figure.