Any Uti Grads

bruiser04

iv been goin to the local cc around here and my major is civil engineering and since iv owned my truck iv done a few bolt ons and have kind of taken an interest in automobile mechanics ...my questions r, what r the best programs they offer, could this be a lucrative business to go into,and which one is more than the others, and what have u guys done. thanks in advance

My buddy went to UTI, did well and gained alot of knowledge (he owned an S4). Other distractions in the city (girls, beer) had him on the wrong track too soon though and he did not finish. I also am interested in UTI, I have to change careers. This truck has got me very interested in that field also. From the commercials on TV here, they seem to be very reputable and have alot of ins with the dealerships.

Very sharp looking Arrival Blue truck, I like your blue/black theme :chevy:

Make sure you know where you want to work at so you can work there part time while you go to school. My bro went to UTI and is now a master tech for BMW. IMO I learned what he was tought on my own over time. It is an expensive school for the course especially if you do not pay attention or fail to finish the course.

My buddy went to UTI, did well and gained alot of knowledge (he owned an S4). Other distractions in the city (girls, beer) had him on the wrong track too soon though and he did not finish. I also am interested in UTI, I have to change careers. This truck has got me very interested in that field also. From the commercials on TV here, they seem to be very reputable and have alot of ins with the dealerships.

Very sharp looking Arrival Blue truck, I like your blue/black theme :chevy:

thank u i wanted either black or blue when i was shopping but found this one one with 9000 mi. on it....i must say i am happy i got the blue one...u can do more wickedowesix what do u know about the diesel program is there money to be maid as a diesel mechanic

Edited by bruiser04 (see edit history)

After graduating high school back in the late 80's (yea i'm old), I set out to be a auto tech, after looking at several schools around the country, I ended going to Arizona Automotive Institute (AAI) back then UTI was there biggest competor for tech schools, The reason I went to AAI over UTI, was because UTI was not a recognize/accredited college, when I graduated I got a real Associates Degree (Auto/diesel technology) which actually is just a piece of paper, but it helped me land a great Job at the Colorado Springs Police Dept as a fleet tech, been there 16 years now. I guess it's like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. I will say one thing, being a mechanic as a hobby is much different and more fun than doing it for a living. :tumbleweed:

After graduating high school back in the late 80's (yea i'm old), I set out to be a auto tech, after looking at several schools around the country, I ended going to Arizona Automotive Institute (AAI) back then UTI was there biggest competor for tech schools, The reason I went to AAI over UTI, was because UTI was not a recognize/accredited college, when I graduated I got a real Associates Degree (Auto/diesel technology) which actually is just a piece of paper, but it helped me land a great Job at the Colorado Springs Police Dept as a fleet tech, been there 16 years now. I guess it's like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. I will say one thing, being a mechanic as a hobby is much different and more fun than doing it for a living. :tumbleweed:

thank you i was just wondering if the deisel rout is better as far as money...i would like to go into customs or the racing ind.

thank you i was just wondering if the deisel rout is better as far as money...i would like to go into customs or the racing ind.

Diesel mechanics generally make more $$$ than the custom/racing industry, custom work would be a blast, from what I hear UTI has great body shop and racing classes. If you get a chance you should take a tour of the school, would give you a better idea what they have to offer.

Diesel mechanics generally make more $$$ than the custom/racing industry, custom work would be a blast, from what I hear UTI has great body shop and racing classes. If you get a chance you should take a tour of the school, would give you a better idea what they have to offer.

cool thanks one more thing...what r the pre reqs to attend if there r any

cool thanks one more thing...what r the pre reqs to attend if there r any

If I remember, all they wanted was a h/s diploma and $$$, back then AAI was $10k for the 18 month Associates, I'm sure it's much more now. Good luck on you're journey and never stop learning.

If I remember, all they wanted was a h/s diploma and $$$, back then AAI was $10k for the 18 month Associates, I'm sure it's much more now. Good luck on you're journey and never stop learning.

thanks man i appreciate it :cheers: ill keep u updated on progress

cant speak on UTI but we had a wash boy at the body shop that went to WyoTech for body and paint and he didnt know chit. said he paid like $40k, what a waste of money. hopefully UTI will work out better for you. Good Luck

I am Currently going and my little brother has graduated already. HS deploma and or GED are your pre reqs.(<--you get the point). If you want paint and body your lookin at the houston campus. The power and performance class from what they told me is only in avondale az. there are manny job possibiltys, If you pay attenion. some people complain about what they already know and what thee school is teaching you, the school is only tryin to make you an wntry level tech not a master tech, but they can set you in the right direction.

I am Currently going and my little brother has graduated already. HS deploma and or GED are your pre reqs.(<--you get the point). If you want paint and body your lookin at the houston campus. The power and performance class from what they told me is only in avondale az. there are manny job possibiltys, If you pay attenion. some people complain about what they already know and what thee school is teaching you, the school is only tryin to make you an wntry level tech not a master tech, but they can set you in the right direction.

dam son u in goodyear???? hit me up!!! im in avondale........ sorry to hijack the thread lol

I believe the man makes the opportunity, not the opportunity makes the man. I personally believe that people who are successful at something, would generally be successful in other areas as well. Its the man behind the piece of paper, hence why we have idiots with college degrees and brilliant businessmen with GED's or HS diplomas. With that being said, trade schools have good opportunities, but like mentioned, you get out of it what you put into it.

Here is a great article I think you should read prior to enrolling anywhere so you have a full understanding of how the game works. They will promise you the sun, moon, and stars, but that is their job to do so. Some schools are better than others, but overall, I think many of the trade schools are turn and burn cash cows.

http://finance.yahoo.com/college-education/article/109081/in-hard-times-lured-into-trade-school-and-debt

My advice would be to get into a dealership or auto parts store at ground level and work your way up. I have an aquaintence/friend that I was on the ski patrol with his father who hated college and quit. He loved performance vehicles though. While we were wrapping up college and looking for $30-40k/yr jobs, he started working the parts counter at a Murrays auto store for like $7/hr. Within 2yrs he was an assistant store manager and then he was afforded an opportunity to work for a dealership as a oil change tech.

Keep in mind however, for his success story, there are also people who failed along the same path for various reasons.

He then worked his way up to earn several of his ASE certifications over the next couple of years and then moved over to be a service advisor. He continued his high performance passion on the side and grew his skills/knowledge on his own. He was then offered a position with Katech and at 29yrs old, he is the Drector of Aftermarket Operations and drives one real nice C6 Z06. Definition of the American Dream in my opinion. He didnt pay any tuition, but he did pay his dues at lower income levels for a while.

Also, dont let my response discourage you from any trade school or chasing any dream, I just want you to be informed of all the pros and cons. I'm still chasing my dream job and hopefully it might just be around the corner for me.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)