Sts Turbo Kit?

just doing my research for a turbo build i know i want turbo and the sts kit looks nice. i bad a buddy that had the sts kit on his lt1 firebird a while back and liked it. has anyone else here used the sts kit for their SSS and have any feed back? yes i know its going to have lag and i know a blower would be cheaper and what not but i want turbo. I want a bolt on kit and so far the only bolt on kits ive found are e-bay and sts and ive heard horror story's about e-bay kits and their turbos flying apart.

I have the STS kit, I like it, and when I did my turbo kit, no one out there had released any type of turbo kit. W2W had one but required one to send the truck to them for install and tune.

The proper term you are looking for is TURBO DELAY (the time it takes the turbo to create full boost from no throttle to WOT) not LAG (the time it takes the turbo to regain boost after letting off the throtlle, as in when shifting gears in a manual car, and since your truck is an auto this becomes a moot point)

As for Turbo Delay, It depends on how you piece the kit together. But properly set up it will be negligable, even comparable to a front mount kit. IF you over turbo or under turbo it will cause different delay times.

Also beware, the STS kit doesn't seem to work in the geographical region of Texas, who know why :dunno:

has anyone else here used the sts kit for their SSS and have any feed back?

I have had my sts kit up in Alaska for over 2 years now and haven't had any problems at all. Runs great. The supporting mods are the most important part.

That was sarcasms about texas, all of the texas guy end up getting rid or them.

Like stated before and just like anything else you will need supporting mods to make it performe as it should. however that is less now since STS kits now come with fuel system upgrades.

I have two boost levels with an electric boost controler. I have a 10# wastegate spring and a 5# electric boost controler, so I boost 10 or 15#. I drive around on 10# because that is all that is needed to put a hurting on just about anything on the street and its easier on the motor, however if I need more I just flip a switch and my tune does the rest yielding me 15#. I can adjust my boost to anything between 10-15 or if I install my stock 7# spring I can boost from 7-13# with the boost controler.

On a stock set up I wouldn't run more than 10#, that is about the limit of the stock piston wich is enough for a little over 500WHP, That also required a good intercooler and good tune. I have a built and forged 370 so I can boost higher, and I bulit for no more than 15# since that is about the limit of my fuel system.

one being me lol. they work awesome for cooler and higher altitudes but everyone that i know that has an sts kit in texas like he said, go to a front mount. unexplainable but they just dont work very well in texas.

I like these STS kits, but has anyone decided to mount the turbo just behind the headers?? Reduce the pipping back to the engine, seems this would be easy enough to do. May even spool up a bit faster. Just an IDEA.

Yes people have, and mostlikely you will have to change compressor size and A/R housing to accomodate for the different exhaust velocity/volume otherwise you will have spooling up problems or overboosting. Which is why I asume that most people who modify the stock STS pipes end up with systems that no longer performe correctly. IMO

Yes people have, and mostlikely you will have to change compressor size and A/R housing to accomodate for the different exhaust velocity/volume otherwise you will have spooling up problems or overboosting. Which is why I asume that most people who modify the stock STS pipes end up with systems that no longer performe correctly. IMO

agreed... im trying to work out the problems now...