Switched To Sunoco Gas

70chevy03ss

So for a while I was going to shell to get the V power. Well I would go when the funds would allow me to.. But when I went for my Black Bear tune Justin saw a few things that he didn't like that my truck was doing. One being a ping and a slight knock in the motor. He asked me what I run for gas i told him Shell and he said that I was the 3rd Northeast truck that had this "knock". So I asked him what to use and he told my buddy and I to run Sunoco.

Now since my buddy and I switch I have picked up around 2 mpg's which is good. Now my buddy has a Trailblazer Ls with the V6 and he was getting crap for milage. Since he switched and filled the tank he now gets 300 on a tank!!! Going the same way to drop off his wife and kid, doing the same thing he did the week before and didn't change anything to the truck. He didn't even get a tune that day!!!!

Just want to pass that on to the SSS.com members!!!!!!cheers.gifcheers.gif

So for a while I was going to shell to get the V power. Well I would go when the funds would allow me to.. But when I went for my Black Bear tune Justin saw a few things that he didn't like that my truck was doing. One being a ping and a slight knock in the motor. He asked me what I run for gas i told him Shell and he said that I was the 3rd Northeast truck that had this "knock". So I asked him what to use and he told my buddy and I to run Sunoco.

Now since my buddy and I switch I have picked up around 2 mpg's which is good. Now my buddy has a Trailblazer Ls with the V6 and he was getting crap for milage. Since he switched and filled the tank he now gets 300 on a tank!!! Going the same way to drop off his wife and kid, doing the same thing he did the week before and didn't change anything to the truck. He didn't even get a tune that day!!!!

Sunoco is 100% gasoline. No ethanol mixed in....

Sunoco is the best by far, hands down. It sucks there arent many in MA though. What town you get yours in Jesse?

I bet the knocking is from a bad batch of gasoline, or just freshly delivered gas into the tanks of the service station and you got some sediment.

edit-Ive been running V Power since 05 and not one knocking noise

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

Interesting... I generally run Sunoco in the Corvette, but Shell in the truck. (The Shell station is a bit closer to home.) I'll have to try a few fillups at Sunoco in the truck and see if I notice a difference. I do think that in NJ it does have Ethanol added though.

Yup ... We're running down the road and Justin asked what fuel I was using? I told him I had just put in 3/4 of a tank of Sunoco 93 in, before running down for my tune. Justin told me (as he was reading his computer) "Yup, I thought so. It's burning nicely" "You've got good fuel in here."

I was shocked he could see that much on his Program. But for the extra couple pennies a gallon, I guess I will have to switch to Sunoco. ... :thumbs: ...

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)

Actually most Ethanol added to fuel, is mandated by the State. I know Massachusetts mandates 10% to all full stations.

It's something they used to advertise down here.... I retract my first comment. MY Sunoco has 100% gasoline :D

Sunoco is the best by far, hands down. It sucks there arent many in MA though. What town you get yours in Jesse?

I bet the knocking is from a bad batch of gasoline, or just freshly delivered gas into the tanks of the service station and you got some sediment.

edit-Ive been running V Power since 05 and not one knocking noise

I pass 2 of them on the way home from waltham 1 in waltham 1 in wayland 1 in marlboro and I used to take the chevelle down to westboro to get 94 when they had it..

You won't hear the knock. It showed up on the chart on his computer.. So again you won't hear it..

Did Blackbear have any reasoning for this knocking from Shell gasoline? Just a guess on my part maybe its the nitrogen in the V Power, but then again that topic was discussed here and seemed like it would not cause a problem. Im curious to see when my truck gets on a dyno with EFI live to see if I have this knocking, I have only used V Power gas so this knocking should be prominent in my truck, supposedley if its a Shell problem.

Did Blackbear have any reasoning for this knocking from Shell gasoline? Just a guess on my part maybe its the nitrogen in the V Power, but then again that topic was discussed here and seemed like it would not cause a problem. Im curious to see when my truck gets on a dyno with EFI live to see if I have this knocking, I have only used V Power gas so this knocking should be prominent in my truck, supposedley if its a Shell problem.

Justin only stated that he as seen a lot of problems with Shell fuel. Therefore, he set out and he did his own testing on the Octane Level of fuel he got from Shell. Even though it said 93,he had it rated about 89 or lower some times. Just misrepresenting what they may be putting in the tank.

As for the Nitrogen ... It is :bs: ... As we stated in a thread a few years back. Your vehicle needs Air to help in Combustion of the fuel. Air is 79% Nitrogen on average, with about 18% Oxygen ... So they are adding something, that is aready, redily availible.