Wiring Electric Cutouts

alex.t

(mod: you can delete my prior how to on wiring electric cutouts)

Well first off ill say that this is not to tough of a job if you have the right tools and some patience's .

Tools needed:

3/8 ratchet

extension

7mm socket

cordless drill

drill bits

solder gun

electronics solder/acid core solder (whatever you want)

banana knife/sharp extension knife

tie straps or wire

some cardboard for under the truck and on the floor in the cab

I thought that this was a good spot to put my switches so i put two switches just as seen in the link, wired the same and then put my electric cutout switch on the bottom. The electric cutout switch comes with an extra length of wire( pwr & grnd) so its not necessary to tie it into the other two switches.

http://www.Silverado...818&hl=switches

( side note this job isnt for any show trucks this is just a good how to for a dd who wants everything to work good)

first off heres were i decided to put the cutouts, seemed like a good spot.

000_0002-1.jpg

000_0004.jpg

000_0005.jpg

i just brought the two wires together and tied them up along that support using wire, you can use tie straps or watever you feel is necessary.

next i drilled two holes side by side to run the wires into the cab, you have to lift up the plastic piece right beside the drivers seat to get to were you wanna drill.

000_0006-1.jpg

000_0008-1.jpg

run your wires along the slot there to keep them hidden and protected.

000_0007-1.jpg

now that you have the wires into the cab its time to take some of the dash apart, start by popping off the fuse panel cover and then the shell around the gauge cluster/radio( i found the best way to do this is to turn your key to the battery position and push down on the brake and move your shifter all the way to 1 which should help on clearance when taking it off. once you get that off kneel down and look beside the park brake handle there is a small 7 mm screw there and one further to the right. unscrew those and then there just two clips holding that bottom piece on where your knees usually are.

000_0008-2.jpg

000_0007-2.jpg

Now theres a metal cover that goes around the steering shaft column. there is 4 bolts that hold it on you must take that off to get to all the wires ( i never put it back on so i didnt get any pics of it sorry guys)

after you take that off your truck should look like this

000_0001-1.jpg

At this point i have put my new insert in and have ran the the one power wire and grnd wire for the top two switches and the pwr and grnd wire for the cutouts and let them dangle out were the fuses are. ( if your adding the top two toggle switches make sure you connect the power wire from the female cig to the center wire on the switches and run the two female cigs connectors with there grounds out and let them dangle out were the fuses are also)

Your next job will be to locate the bigger orange gauge wire that is a switchable power wire that your going to tap into.

000_0003.jpg

000_0006.jpg

in the last picture it is the orange wire with the small red one hooked in(cutout pwr) and the blue wire (toggle switch pwr). you'll know you have the right wire because i believe its the only big gauge orange wire running under the dash. caution there is one other smaller orange wire running up the coloumn with two small white wires in it you dont want that one leave it the f*ck alone haha.)

To tap into this the power source i used a sharp banana knife or exacto knife to cut the outer orange layer off because its nearly impossible to strip and youll prob end up cutting it if you try. once you have your cutout power and switch power wrapped around solder it up and wrap with electrical tape.

next drill a small hole through the metal piece there for a good ground. then attach one of those hoop things( sorry not sure what there called you'll know once you see the pic) to the end of your cutout grnd and switch grnd and then find a screw and attach it there with a cordless drill.

000_0004-1.jpg

Now if your only adding the cutout switch you would be done and could go ahead and start putting all the dash back together( make sure you try the switch to make sure everything works before reassemble)

for you guys adding the two switches for radar,gps or anyhting of your liking you must now find a good spot to put your two female cig connectors under the dash and hook up your two grounds from these anywhere you want depending on were you put them. i tucked my two connectors under the dash and up to the left sorta behind the park brake there was alittle ledge there.

run your wires from your accessories ( radar,gps) plug them and test all the switches and make sure everythings works . if so you can start putting everything back together. in the end you should have an end product that looks like this.

000_0011.jpg

They look orange in the pic but are really red

hopefully this helps and i didnt confuse you too much, if you have anymore questiions please post them up and if i can help ill be glad, happy wiringbiggrin.gif

alex.

Edited by 03silv.ss (see edit history)

Sweet man, nice write up! Now I want to go buy some cutouts! Do you somehow seal that hole you ran the wires through into the cab? And will that jagged metal edge rubbing the wires eventually wear through the plastic coating possibly shorting out the wire?

• 3 weeks later...

there we go all fixed hope it helps, youll love the cutouts which ones did you get?

Awesome!!!!! I got dual 2.5 dmh with flowtechs! I'm gonna get the pipes welded in and install the cutouts right after that, I'm super pumped! I know they'll never be shut lol