The "Do Not Open" Tailgate Fix

firehawknwv

Im posting this cuz I had the problem and posted about it and a few others said they had the same problem and told me what to do . The problem here is that the tailgate may not latch properly and will fall down as it did on me many times. Noone wants their taigate to fall down on a vehicle who is up too close to the truck. I call it the "Do Not Open" problem cuz you dont want to open your gate after you actually get it latched good cuz it may fall down on you at any given moment. A person would have to be an idiot to be that close but Ive seen it happen to people none the less, lol. I thought something was wrong with the mechanism inside the gat but all it need was a little love.

1. I recommend dropping the gate for this at first because there are washers on the inside of the gate that can fall down in it if you take the bolts out all the way.

2. Loosen the 3 bolts on the inner gate (do not take them all the way out). Just enought so the handle will be loose and you have a lil room.

3. Take some lithium grease and spray up in behind the handle then work the handle a lil bit so it moves nice and freely. Repeat at least one more time.

4. Position the handle back in place and tighten the bolts.

5. I did this but u dont have to. Also spray some lithium grese on the outer latches as well.

Now your gate should lock properly and the handle should "pop" when you take the gate down. I know this is a little cheesey write up for this but it gets to the point in case anyone asks how to fix the problem like I Did.

Edited by firehawknwv (see edit history)

good post. I have almost broken my arm, with the gate dropping. I also fear my kids playing around such a heavy piece that could smack them in the head. I am used to the tundra that has the assist on the tailgate...which might be a cool mod.

good post. I have almost broken my arm, with the gate dropping. I also fear my kids playing around such a heavy piece that could smack them in the head. I am used to the tundra that has the assist on the tailgate...which might be a cool mod.

I heard that the newer silverado's and sierra's came with an easy close/open system. I wonder if some of the parts could interchange.

I put one of these on my SS several years ago. No more dropping the tailgate and very easy to install. EZ Down