Just got my volant intake to day. need help

j4nash

I bought it used from a guy. The filter looks like it was just cleaned but not re oiled. I don’t have any of the oil dressing that is for the Volant intake filters but I do have some old K&N filter oil would it be ok to use the K&N Oil Dressing instead of the blue stuff from Volant?

filter oil is filter oil. There is one out there that has electrical safe oil that does not kill the maf. Which is nice. I don't know which one it is though. Before you clean it does it really need it, these type of filter usually don't need cleaning that often.

A stupid question.... since the Volant filters are blue, and the K&N oil is red, did the re-oiled filter look purple, since red and blue make purple?

I would clean the filter again with the K&N detergent and then use the K&N oil myself. Just in case of chemical incompatability between Volant and K&N.

:cheers:

ive use the lemon fresh joy dish soap and worm water in a bucket dont know

about any body else but it works for me then reoil :thumbs:

:seeya:

I've been using washable gauze and mesh filters since the late 1970's, and they all work the same. You are never supposed to immerse the filter in water when dirty. They say to rinse the filter from the inside towards the outside. You don't want to get the dirt on the inside surface of the gauze media.

First lightly brush the filter if very dirty, then dampen with water by running cool, clean water from the inside to the outside. Shake off the excess, then saturate the filter from the outside with the cleaner. Allow to soak in, then rinse from the inside out thoroughly with cool water and shake out the filter. Allow to air dry completely, then oil each pleat with one application of oil. Never use compressed air to clean or dry a filter like these. It will damage the media.

Allow twenty minutes or so for the oil to wick into the pleats, if any areas look white, re-apply oil only to those areas. Do not over oil, the oil isn't good for the intake plenum or MAF sensors. You don't want a greasy mess inside the intake tube anyway.

I live in Oklahoma, a semi-arid and dusty area, and my filters usually only need cleaning about every twenty thousand miles or so. which in my case is about three or four years worth of driving. At this rate, these type of filters would easily last a million miles, and are an excellent investment. The Kand N's actually flow better when dirty, than a paper element does when new.

:thumbs:

Archived