Detroit Series 60 Carnage

wody

We had a roadway truck towed in overnight, so when i came in at 6 am, our service writer told me that the road report said the engine was hydro-locked. 1st thing i did was try to bar the engine over, and sure enough it was seized, so then i took the intake hose off the charge air cooler and found coolant pooled in the hose. the internal coolant jackets of the egr cooler must have done more than just cracked this time to allow that much coolant into the intake. normally if the egr cooler fails internally, you will see a white residue at the flange between the egr valve and cooler, but this time you could actually see coolant running out of the flange. after that it went back to detroit diesel to tear it down since this was a reman engine that had just been replaced a few months earlier at another detroit dealer. this was the damage...

Detroit60Head.jpg

Detroit60Cyl1.jpg

the trucks owning location said that the engine had locked up before, but all they did was put a new egr cooler on and sent it on it's way. :banghead:

est. cost of replacement engine $20,000

Edited by WODY™ (see edit history)

nice

i see it all the time.....a few years ago one of the mechanics in the shop i work at dropped a Cummins ISX block and cracked it. the block alone was over 20 grand.

we just installed our FSX DPF cleaning machine....cost us about 85,000 installed and plumbed.....its sweet to play with though....emissions are costing trucking companies big $$$$$$$$

Nice, sounds like its time for a Step up 3 w/ a bullgear!! lol And yes, emissions is costing companys big time. From the increase in the price of the truck, to the down time all the electronics give when something goes wacko. Whats funny is these truckers think its my fault trucks have to have aftertreatment and now SCR on the truck. Its also funny to hear what they call the aftertreatment device, from regurgitation system, to after burner muffler, to a fire box lol O well, it is what it is!

Nice, sounds like its time for a Step up 3 w/ a bullgear!! lol And yes, emissions is costing companys big time. From the increase in the price of the truck, to the down time all the electronics give when something goes wacko. Whats funny is these truckers think its my fault trucks have to have aftertreatment and now SCR on the truck. Its also funny to hear what they call the aftertreatment device, from regurgitation system, to after burner muffler, to a fire box lol O well, it is what it is!

haha...haven't heard any of those yet. i have heard erg though, and i always play along with the drivers too, i never correct them.

haha...haven't heard any of those yet. i have heard erg though, and i always play along with the drivers too, i never correct them.

Correcting drivers is a waste of time. They've either done it more, or can do it better and faster. So if you can do it better and faster, why are you here?? Idiots. Who do you work for???

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

this

Correcting drivers is a waste of time. They've either done it more, or can do it better and faster. So if you can do it better and faster, why are you here?? Idiots. Who do you work for???

LOL! You guys are ruthless. Some drivers know what they are talking about :rolleyes: . We have been removing the dpf's up here in alaska. They don't do so well with all the idling that we have to do at -40. They end up trying to regen all the time. What a disaster the emissions motors have become. Can't even get and isx to go over 300k.

LOL! You guys are ruthless. Some drivers know what they are talking about rolleyes.gif . We have been removing the dpf's up here in alaska. They don't do so well with all the idling that we have to do at -40. They end up trying to regen all the time. What a disaster the emissions motors have become. Can't even get and isx to go over 300k.

Had an ol boy come in bout a month ago, talking about his "other" truck with a 600 horse B model 3406 Cat. I wanted to slap him. So I just tacked on the infamous "dumbass tax" on his invoice rolleyes.gif

Cant get 300k with an ISX....really how is that?? And your right, idle time is a killer. So is stop and go, I.E trash trucks, concrete mixers, ect. Thing that stands out that iv seen a lot of is the problems Cummins have with there mid-range engines, B & C series. Junk

we had a d60 run away from a pete dump a few months ago . driver couldnt stall it and it ended up blowing the turbo first shot all the oil on the road and next thing you know we have a 12k bill from hazmat and have to pay the cost of a new motor . all in all cost was near 40k . damage was also pretty nasty i didnt get to take any pics though.

from what ive heard...the detroit filters are lasting ALOT longer than cummins...

CUmmins is a joke....they get away with all of these repairs not being warranty because "filters are a maintenance item" etc etc

DPF filter costs around 3k with a core charge that is NO GOOD no matter what....the catalyst is about 1500-2500 bucks and they crack like crazy....Doser injectors being getting carbon build up and must be cleaned and retested and they usually over flow so they fail the troubleshooting tests...

the customer cant win....we have replaced the Catalyst, DPF filter,doser injector and turbo WITH NEW along with a new flex pipe on exhaust system......15,000 miles later they'll be right back down with a 1691 fault code due to DPF problems......customer bitches me out....but its a non workmanship issue....so its not the dealers fault.....Cummins says its not their fault.....so therefore the customer gets SCREWED!!!! :banghead:

the customer cant win....we have replaced the Catalyst, DPF filter,doser injector and turbo WITH NEW along with a new flex pipe on exhaust system......15,000 miles later they'll be right back down with a 1691 fault code due to DPF problems......customer bitches me out....but its a non workmanship issue....so its not the dealers fault.....Cummins says its not their fault.....so therefore the customer gets SCREWED!!!! banghead.gif

THIS^^^

Yeah and Cummins doesnt pay for SHIT when it comes to warranty.

How many have had problems with EPA07 Detroit bellows exhaust piping?? From what it looks like they are a little sturdy'er with 10' emissions....we'll see