Thank You Guys

paulguy

So my truck started knocking a little while ago, and after reading many posts I figured it to be a bad catalytic converter. Crawled under the truck, beat on the exhaust, and sure enough, it rattles. Ok, now I know.

I realized that my truck was just past the mileage for warranty on it, but i called GM anyway to see if I could get it covered, and they said I need it diagnosed before they can make a decision, take it to the dealer. Well not a big deal, I'm currently un-employed so I don't have alot(any) money to spend, but i figure if guys on the sss site know whats wrong, any tech should be able to take a listen and know what the problem is, Right?

So I go there and tell them if think my cat is rattling and give them the code that i pulled from it (0300). He says $1500 for new cats...Ouch! So, a half hour later...

He's how my conversation went with the service advisor ...

SA - "Well we pulled a code from you truck it's 0300"

ME- "Ya I mentioned that"

SA - "Its a misfire and the tech thinks you have a bad valve"

ME - "What?"

SA - "We'll need to put it on the scope and diagnose further, gonna be a couple hours labor"

ME - "What?"

SA - "He thinks the converter is fine, your just hearing the valve misfire through the exhaust"

ME - "What?"

ME - "I was born at night, but it wasn't last night, I know the deference between a top end valve noise and a bottom end knock."

SA - "That what the tech said and he's the professional(He does the quote hand signs)"

SA - "That will be $70"

ME - "Gee thanks"

That's the 3rd time in 5 years that my trucks been to the dealer, and the last. :mad:

So, drove home, put the truck on stands, went in the house on to the SSS site, found a post on gutting cats. By midnight cats were gutted, and I was test driving my truck, way more power than it's had in a long time and runs like dream. A little loud though... actually really loud, but I'll fix it later.

I work on cars for a living and I understand the way shops charge out, the tech hooked up a tech II, pulled a code and that was it. He probably only spent like 1 min on my truck. Now I have charged customers a min shop charge for small stuff too, but I make sure that I know what the hell I'm doing and I only charge if I fix it, or find the problem.

I'm thinking of going back to the dealer on Monday, and asking for my money back($70 is a lot of money to me being out of work, my girlfriend actually paid for it). It'll probably go over like a fart in church, but if it's busy enough, and I get loud enough...I don't know.

My main point is thank you guys from SSS.com. :cheers:

There is a vast wealth of knowledge here and well as knowledgeable people. You guys sure saved my ass.

I been lucking on this site for years before I even bought my truck, and I have gotten a crapload of useful info from this forum. :thumbsup:

From now on when I have something important to contribute, I will(I'm a really good stereo installer). I might help someone sometime too.

I'm thinking of going back to the dealer on Monday, and asking for my money back($70 is a lot of money to me being out of work, my girlfriend actually paid for it). It'll probably go over like a fart in church, but if it's busy enough, and I get loud enough...I don't know.

Wish I could be a fly on the wall when you blast off on those guys.

Hope you get some money back from them.

demand to speak directly to the owner not the service manager or the gm but to the owner. they will hand over the cash before they get the owner involved. remember you are the customer, they work for you not the other way around.

Thanks for the support guys.

Well, I went to the dealer and argued with the service manager for quite a while, he wouldn't refund my money unless I would should him of a receipt for getting the repair done. Since I can't afford to have it fixed I guess I'm SOL. Maybe I should go back tomorrow since I'm not working and explain to him that I'm un-employed and I will go there everyday till he refunds my money. Na, that seems alittle overkill for $70. :thumbsdown:

I went to see a buddy at an exhaust shop and he'll do some hi-flo cats for about $500. Or just changing to the large body magnaflow($300).

What do you guys think? I'd like to have a tune done anyway, so I can get rid of the rear O2 sensors. I have to do something about the exhaust because I had some drone with the old-style flo-pro muffler, but with the cats gutted now it's really annoying. I like a good sound like it has now, but I don't want any drone.

What about leave the cats, getting a tune and maybe a gmpp cat back($500ish)? Anyone run something like that?

What about a corsa sport without cats? What do you think that would sound like? That's what I'd think I'd run if I can afford it.

Any suggestions?