Transmission Awd

Hi everyone. I purchased a 2004 ss new and started off by adding a procharger. Got the right size injectors and had the ecm tuned for the change. Transmission lasted about a month then lost second gear. Had the tranny pro built with all upgrades and shitkit. Lost second again after a couple of months.Was rebuilt again this time with a forward manual valve body. Was told by the shop that it would most likley fail again if i got into it alot, but i can`t help myself the Damned thing is just too much fun to floor it once in a while not to mention embaressing Z28's and Mustangs and an occasional challenger.

What i would like to do is convert to 2wd and also find out what to do to keep the tranny alive. So is anyone has a 2wd set up and want trade i`m open, or if there is a way to disconnect the awd without all the bells and whistles going off i'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks, Mike

PS. the truck has 17,000 mile on it and about 1,000 on it and I have not raced it. Too costley

Mike, in your case you may be better off converting to a 4L80 while you’re converting to 2WD. It would be a good time to kill two birds with one stone and would be your best bet for keeping a transmission alive. Besides a 2WD 4L80, you would only need a few things to get it up and running. The PCM will need a segment swap, the harness will need re-pinned, a flex-plate and factory spacer for a 80E, torque converter, dipstick fill tube and transmission lines, crossmember modifications, new driveshaft yoke for a 80E and the driveshaft length corrected. That will get the transmission in; from there the front end is easy, just remove the differential and replace the 4WD/AWD front hub assemblies with 2WD pieces. It is a good deal of work, but may be the only way to hold the power and end going through transmissions. Removing the front differential will not set off any codes, as there are not any wiring connections to it, so at least whatever transmission you go with, you can rest easy there. You can also make some of your money back by selling the front differential and transfer-case, as finding good used units is getting harder for some.

there is tranny out there strong enough to handle the power. i have a level 2 street tranny from TCI and so far i have had good luck. i have probably 125 1/4 mile pulls on it. i run a front mount turbo with 11 psi and a 65 wet shot. the tranny has taken it well. i drive it very hard. i really like the AWD so IMO i would keep it that way. you know how hard it will be to hook up if you went to 2wd? just get a tranny that can handle the power. hell when i spray i spin the front tires pretty hard i dont know what i would do with only 2wd.

As already stated, switch to another transmission builder. There are several out there that can build the 4L65E to handle power like FLT, Rossler, PerformaBuilt, and RPM. Have you upgraded the transmission cooler at all?

Also, who tuned your truck?

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

I do agree with the other gentlemen that going with a well built unit from one of the few top trans-builder’s you may be able to keep a transmission alive and enjoy the attributes of the AWD. It’s hard to beat an AWD truck launching hard under boost on the street, it’s just work awesome. I know my truck is not the quickest by far, but it’s no punk either and I have been riding on the same FLT level V since 2006. I did order it with the billet shafts and vacuum modulated and so on, but have not had a minute’s trouble out it. That said, at the track once you reach a certain level, I believe the AWD actually becomes more of a hindrance than an asset. It eats power and it’s unnatural in how you have to set up the vehicle, instead of just being able to set up your rear suspension, getting sticky tires and allowing the front to make good weight transfer, you actually need to concern yourself with keeping the front-end down or it will blow the front tires off instead. For most this is never an issue, so it’s more of a how far are you planning on pushing it kinda thing. There are a few members that have higher HP trucks that have made the switch to 2WD and then there is Chase that has been on the bubble with his, trying to decide which way he needs to go. His truck is damn quick and is still rockin AWD, so it’s possible, but when his truck is finished in it’s latest incarnation it may be past working well, only time will tell.