Can'T Believe I Broke This

Nice work Brad! Now, we all want to hear the story behind this picture...including your reaction and first thoughts as to what happened. LOL!

This is kind of why I went with the HD TCI piece. It may weigh more but it is more beefy in the right spots. Let us know if Huges is gonna honor a warrenty. At least you have a nice wall ornament for the garage now!

hell of a deal Brad lol

All i can do is smile.......and drink.....a lot

you drop the trans at your place?

At my dads house, Mike, read the further replies. It was stupid luck

Nice work Brad! Now, we all want to hear the story behind this picture...including your reaction and first thoughts as to what happened. LOL!

This is kind of why I went with the HD TCI piece. It may weigh more but it is more beefy in the right spots. Let us know if Huges is gonna honor a warrenty. At least you have a nice wall ornament for the garage now!

Yeah Kevin, i see the light. If i remember right the TCS was the second heaviest flex plate i researched, but it will be the one i run now as well. I might be over thinking the weight thing, i mean there is only 2 pounds in difference, but i made the choice and maybe now i can report that 2 pounds on a flex plate doesn't make a bit of difference, or maybe it will.

Its a stupid story of how it broke, I drive the truck on the weekends only for the most part and mostly around my town looking for trouble. I raced on the 30th and i'm sure thats what started to twist it. Launching on the converter at 3400 and pulling low 1.7 60 foot times, it just felt cool. After that i started to hear what i thought was an exhaust rattle, like the pipes hitting the cross member. The weird thing is it went away when the truck would warm up, so i thought, ok the motor is cold and really shaking and when it warms up the motor smooths out and it stops. I drove the truck twice like this around town, but it never made a sound after it warmed up. So i was over at my dads house, where i do all my work, and was helping him anyway so i thought i'd put it on the hoist and just check it. I pulled it in the garage and had to rev it a bit to get over the concrete floor(4500 stall sucks for going over a bump larger then a crack in the road) and it didn't sound good and the rattle did not go away. I left it running and lifted the hoist and when we went under it i could hear the noise from the bell housing. I thought a converter bolt backed out. Dropped the truck, shut it off, lifted her back up and pulled the starter, and cover and the round cover on the trans so i could see the converter bolts. I used a prybar to rotate the fly wheel tooth by tooth instead of a ratchet on the crank and when i rotated it....all of sudden the flex plae just started to spin by hand. I told my dad it just broke, and he said bull #$%^ how could it break. Sure enough, it was hanging by a thread, and turning the motor over by hand was enough to break it. If i had left thinking it was the exhaust....i wouldn't have made it down the road.

i kinda wish i had a cool story.....but thats it, it broke when i was checking it to see if it was broke.

But yeah, if i could hang this next to the second gear band i tore into two clean pieces and the converter i tore the insides out of....i'd have a good trophy case started.

i'll let you guys know what they say about warranty.

I've had a highes Torque converter crack before.That sucks to see

great, their known breaking stuff, oh crap, i guess i am to now

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

hummmmm I think I better check my flexplate lol. I have a rattle when my trucks cold that sounds like and exhaust rattle lol. its coming from the where the flexplate would be too. I thought the stock 4l80e plate would be enough.

Anyways hope it all gets fixed and they honour there warranty

hummmmm I think I better check my flexplate lol. I have a rattle when my trucks cold that sounds like and exhaust rattle lol. its coming from the where the flexplate would be too. I thought the stock 4l80e plate would be enough.

Anyways hope it all gets fixed and they honour there warranty

when the converter bolts back out they sound exactly the same....check it out ASAP. Just go under the truck when its running and see if the sound really is coming from the bell housing. If it not your good, if it is......fix it quick. The converter bolts end up hitting the oil pan and rear cover as they rotate. If its a flex plate......we should stay far apart, two guys with that bad of luck should not be in the same area.