Tranny Work, Need Input

Ok so I have my 03 SSS bascically stock with 228,xxx on it, Its my daily driver and I drive it alot... York Maine to Boston and back almost daily. Anyways a couple days ago the transmission started acting up, I went to take off from a light and it was stuck in 3rd I had to manually shift it 1st 2nd 3rd then D. It doesnt do it all the time but Id say about half the time, and on the highway it was also stuck in 3rd and was a very sketchy ride home.

So I bought a 4L60E off craigslist in Maine for $300. the guy wanted $450 but I showed him cash and it was a deal. He claims he bought this trans a year ago from gm as a factory reman and put about 40k on it before he parted the truck out due to a bad frame. It come out of a 01 Silverado 4x4. It does have a gm reman tag on it so Im hoping its a good trans. but you never know when u go used.

My question is, do you think the gear ratios are the same as my SSS factory trans. and is there any other differnces I should know about or be concerned about? Also I want to know if I should put a shift kit in it and new servos, and if so which ones? Someone suggested I go with the B&MRV/Heavy Duty Shift improver kit so it wouldnt be to aggressive for my all wheel drive. any advice and or info would be greatly appreciated since I am ready to order the parts just need to know what I should get and want to get the trans in asap. I want this to be reliable as possible because I am a FEMA disaster housing inspector and my truck is my office and we are in the beggining of hurricane season and I will most likely be driving this truck down south in the near future for disaster work.

any transmission guys have any input? I have some numbers I just pulled off the new trans and torque converter if anyone knows what they mean.

Reman Torque Converter: 24??3393 sorry for the ?? but those 2 I couldnt get cause the sticker was scratched and there number one line below it is 060412

Transmission: GMPT 4L60E 43 00KC D7

Modular: 24229422

06:11:50

1634I 000137

Any thoughts?

im not to sure about the trans swap but i can tell you that the trans go hd2 is a great shift kit and most go with it, also the vetter servo is awesome to do to, if you have the cash i would deff. put those in before you get the trans swap done.

A 4L60E will work in your truck I believe but that is not what the SSS comes equipped with.....the SSS comes with a 4L65E which has some minor internal differences when compared to a 60E(ratios are the same AFAIK).

Transgo shift kit, Corvette 2nd gear servo, and alluminum accumulator pistons should beef you up well....

Sounds like your truck is something you depend on. Why are you messing with the idea of installing an craigslist clunker ? I would just get the either the existing transmission rebuilt with upgraded parts, or get this used one rebuilt with upgraded parts and install it. If it was me, I would get your existing transmission rebuilt. You know where it has been, you only have a story from the seller of that other one.

I am going to rebuild mine when I have the extra $, but for the meantime Ill throw this in, I just ordered a B&M Heavy Duty/RV shift kit and 2nd & 4th Corvette servos and 8 quarts of Royal Purple trans fluid, Soon I want to get that B&M trans cooler with the cooling fan too.

I would recomend a Superior Products kit part number 4L60E-L, Sonnax boost valve part number 77898E-K, Corvette servo, billet 4th gear Superior Products servo, aluminum 1-2 accumlator piston, and brand new GM spacer plate with the new bonded gasket/plate kit drilled to match the kit. The Royal Purple is nice, but is over priced and not really worth it. I'd recomend some decent brand Dexron VI fluid. The 4L60E you bought should work, it's just not going to be as strong as the 4L65E that came in the truck.

I would recomend a Superior Products kit part number 4L60E-L, Sonnax boost valve part number 77898E-K, Corvette servo, billet 4th gear Superior Products servo, aluminum 1-2 accumlator piston, and brand new GM spacer plate with the new bonded gasket/plate kit drilled to match the kit. The Royal Purple is nice, but is over priced and not really worth it. I'd recomend some decent brand Dexron VI fluid. The 4L60E you bought should work, it's just not going to be as strong as the 4L65E that came in the truck.

so many options, Im pretty clueless when it comes to automatics, for now I think Ills just replace the solenoid and get a book about rebuilding the 4l60e so I have a better idea of what im doing when I open it up