160* Thermostat? Good Or Bad?

Mike Frey

hey guys im deciding to get a 160 degree thermostat for my 99 chevy 5.3.

i have a hypertech max energy programmer but i want a pcm tune.

is a 160 degree stat gonna help me or make my performance worse?

any help is apprciated!

Thanks mike.

It will only help. The tuner who ever you decide to use can tweak the motor a little more.

okay, ive heard that it makes it run rich, which is like having a choke on and not getting the performance out of it like i should. are they pointless without a tune?

okay, ive heard that it makes it run rich, which is like having a choke on and not getting the performance out of it like i should. are they pointless without a tune?

Exactly, they are useless without a tune......the 160* stat lowers your operating temp which extends component life, and also helps your tuner pull more timing.....

They will not make it run rich. I don't know why people keep this thought up... The 160 stat in a Gen III sb runs 167-172 degrees at the very coldest which is well into full closed loop and will run the same afr as the stock 187 degree thermostat which runs at around 192 degrees. A 99' Silverado will have a clutch fan and the only time you'll see temps even down to 172 degrees is in cool enough weather on the highway since the fan clutch doesn't engage fully down at a low enough temperature to keep the temperatures that low.

The only downside to them is it makes your heater run a little cooler. So for the winter that sux. Im not sure how it does in our trucks but I can speak for this cuz I have a 160 stat in my Firebird. It helped with performance but the heater got cooler when I needed to be hotter.

Not to thread jack but: Would this happen in our trucks as well?

• 3 weeks later...

I put a 160* in my 07 VMax and it still runs at 210*. I had it tuned by Wheatley and had him set it for 160*. Now my check engine light comes on b/c it thinks it overheating.

210 is not overheating, have it scanned and let us know what codes she threw......

I put a 160* in my 07 VMax and it still runs at 210*. I had it tuned by Wheatley and had him set it for 160*. Now my check engine light comes on b/c it thinks it overheating.

sounds like a bad coolant temp sensor to me. kicking out incorrect readings and throwing a code.