New Brakes all round

ssblackss

Are all rotors created equal? I'm more than a little nervous ordering from an unknown entity. Plus the guy hawking the product has an 'sbcglobal.net' contact email address, not a Wholesale Direct, corporate email address. :confused:

Someone over at the Avalanche site is organizing a group buy on rotors from SP Performance, but I've never heard of them or their products. Their web site doesn't say anything about how long they've been in business, the principals don't give their names, etc. So I'm a little leery.... :uhoh:

I think I will just save up and get the Eradispeed +1's. They look nice and a some what function. Plus, if they really dont help much with stopping atleast they will fill up the wheels a lot more than the stock ones.

Hey Guys,

Just saw an article on a tuning show about the larger brake upgrade.

Now although the brakes are lighter and larger they lost 12HP on the dyno due to the larger rolling diameter creating more inertia Inturn more rolling mass. They were shocked as well They had just put on a new exhaust which gave them hp and added the brakes that took it away... so I guess they are where they started in power but have better braking... :crazy:

Just something for the ones thinking of upgrading the brakes on the SS's

Jonathan

Hey Guys,

Just saw an article on a tuning show about the larger brake upgrade.

Now although the brakes are lighter and larger they lost 12HP on the dyno due to the larger rolling diameter creating more inertia Inturn more rolling mass. They were shocked as well They had just put on a new exhaust which gave them hp and added the brakes that took it away... so I guess they are where they started in power but have better braking... :crazy:

Just something for the ones thinking of upgrading the brakes on the SS's

Jonathan

this is a good enough arguement for me not to waste 3 grand. :jester:

Sports car revolution on speed channel was the show. They put larger breaks and wheels and tires and lost 12 Hp but in there track times they picked up 2second a lap for the better breaks. If your drag racing who need brakes.

Baer Eradispeed +1 are around 1300.00 complete. Rotors are lighter than stock, caliper clearances are the same because they use the stock calipers, so where is the horsepower loss coming from? :confused:

I've had the WD rotors and Earls lines on for a couple of months. So far, so good, no problems. The zinc coating makes them look good.

Reminder guys, when ordering rotors there is a 1/4 inch difference in rear rotor thickness between the 03 and the 04.

Baer Eradispeed +1 are around 1300.00 complete. Rotors are lighter than stock, caliper clearances are the same because they use the stock calipers, so where is the horsepower loss coming from? :confused:

They cant use the stock calipers with larger rotors unless you use caliper brackets to relocate the caliper further away to accomodate the increased disc circumference.

The power loss is coming from the increased rolling inertia further away from the center ie the hub. that is what causes the loss. for example a 2lb weight spun on its axis has basically no inertia, put it on a 15 foot rope and spin the same 2lb weight at 15 feet away its the same weight but a lot more effort is needed to get it to move. exagerated to prove a point... Make sense?

if it only takes that to lose 12hp then there must be a way to lose more parasatic drag...I am not talking AWD I like the AWD , e-fans I guess would be a good place to start.

:cheers:

Jonathan

Archived