New Brakes all round

ssblackss

The Baer kit comes with the relocating bracket for the caliper, and in fact do use the stock calipers. The rotors on the Baer kit are 14" and are lighter than the stock. Once the rotors are in motion, wouldn't the inertia be constant, hence no difference than that of the stock rotors once in motion ? The old " an object in motion tends to want to remain in motion" would prove that the losses would only be on acceleration and deceleration, so if it does incurr a 12 HP loss it would only be temporary.

If your theory is correct, what gains could we realize if we replaced our 20" wheels and tires with say 17" ? Also, your theory would indicate the importance of maintaining proper air pressures, etc...

Get my point? I believe the gains from the increased braking efficiency would exceed the parasitic losses incurred. I think they are a fine mod to install on the SS. Along with lighter wheels and tires this would be an awesome addition to our trucks!

Good points though...

:cool:

Hey Superdave,

I am just quoting the TV show and trying to help explain an unexplained finding from that said show. I would like upgraded brakes for the look and the increased braking efficiency. The dyno showed a 12hp loss.

If I was to go from a 20 to a 17 I would have less rolling mass that inturn would mean less weight increased power right 17's = quicker 1/4 mile times than 20's less weight less mass less inertia. The point of an object in motion wants to stay in motion is a mute point here i think as we have issues with friction and a constant force trying to stop the wheel from rotating, contact with road, drivetrain drag etc etc this would be a whole different ball game in zero gravity if you were say spinning an object then your point would be a valid one. I have to disagree with the point of the loss only being on accelleration. you are turning a larger diameter piece of material it is a constant rotating mass needing constant power to make it turn its inertia not so much the weight that is the issue here, to keep it spinning is going to require more power :crazy:

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

Stacey David from TNN's "Trucks" show did an upgrade a couple of weeks ago, and used a Silverado Z71 4WD. Twenty inch wheels and tires and the Baer Eriadispeed plus 1 brake kit with Stainless braided lines and Hawk pads, I believe. The stopping distances were decent, and the truck looks very trick. I think it is a nice mod, but the cost is a little pricey at 1100.00 to 1500.00 for the parts depending on where they are purchased, and some guys won't want to mess with putting them on because of the brake bleeding if the flex hoses are changed, so add the install charges to that.

My buddy has nothing but good to say about his, and reports that his track times are slightly improved. He assumes it is from the reduced weight of the new set up has no proof of the dyno numbers, but assures me that there is no loss due to the system.

If the sliders weren't lubed properly on the calipers, and created drag on the rotor, I can see a loss of HP at the dyno, but not otherwise.

My only concern about the switch is the fact that our stock 16 inch spares won't fit over the calipers with the eradispeed setup. You could of course buy a new spare rim and tire to match the stock 20's, but where would you store it? You could also gamble on carrying a couple of cans of fix a flat to reinflate, but if the tire was totaled on the road you'd be in for a wait on the old tow truck or AAA serviceman!

Quite the quandry! :sick:

Were the brakes dragging slightly, from not completely bedded-in brake pads?

Hey Marc,

If the brake pads were not bedded in properly it would increase stopping distances, but I don't think it would increase drag... a sticking caliper piston, or defective flex hose can increase drag by not allowing the piston to retract into the caliper, thus increasing drag on the rotor, but all bedding in the brakes does is familiarize the surface of the pad with the rotor, enhancing durability or life of the pad and the grip of the pad on the rotor. When the brake pedal is released, the pads should retract from the rotor. :thumbs:

Archived