Truck Is Riding Like Crap

90zxdriver

I have aftermarket 20" wheels with 275/55?/20's Goodyear eagles. I just had the truck aligned and the tires balanced last week and the ride still, well, sucks in my opinion. It drives down the road straight but I notice a shimmy/shake to it. I can even watch the passenger's side seat bounce a little bit. It is mostly around 60 or so.

Could it just be the bigger wheels that lead to the lousy ride? The biggest wheels I have ever had were 18's and that car rode fine. We had 2500 work trucks at my old job with 16" wheels and they were much smoother on the highway than my truck is.

I have aftermarket 20" wheels with 275/55?/20's Goodyear eagles. I just had the truck aligned and the tires balanced last week and the ride still, well, sucks in my opinion. It drives down the road straight but I notice a shimmy/shake to it. I can even watch the passenger's side seat bounce a little bit. It is mostly around 60 or so.

Could it just be the bigger wheels that lead to the lousy ride? The biggest wheels I have ever had were 18's and that car rode fine. We had 2500 work trucks at my old job with 16" wheels and they were much smoother on the highway than my truck is.

You could have a bent rim or heres a list of other stuff to check in the front end

Inner & Outter Tie rods

Ball joints

Pitman Arm

Idler Arm

Wheel Bearings Swat Bar links

am i forgetting anything?

well the ss's have 20" wheels stock right? so i dont think its the wheel that is the problem. mine does the same thing but around 40-45, i have 24"s though and it shimmys because rims arent balanced exactly roght. theyre close but not perfect. take them to a different shop and have them rebalanced and see if that works, some shops have lousy machines and others just have people who dont do a good job balancing. do you have stickon weights or hang on/clinch on weights? the stick ons are easy to misplace when balancing. keep us posted.

The truck has 65k on it, don't know about the shocks since I bought it used. Weights are on the inside of the rim, not on the lip. The wheels that are on it now are the same size as stock (20") but I think they are wider than stock (8.5") and have wider tires. I hate these wheels on it now, I would love to replace them with stock ones.

Is the shimmy/shake in the steering wheel? Or does it feel like the truck is bouncing?

whole truck and bouncing pretty much describes it, i can actually watch the passenger's side seat back bounce. I was paying attention to it today and the 'bounce' is there at 42mph and around 60mph. Other than those speeds its fairly smooth.

whole truck and bouncing pretty much describes it, i can actually watch the passenger's side seat back bounce. I was paying attention to it today and the 'bounce' is there at 42mph and around 60mph. Other than those speeds its fairly smooth.

Very odd problem......almost makes me think that you have a bent rim or bad tire........not sure what to think.....