Better Gas Millage

03bluessguy

Have you tried some Lucas fuel system cleaner? Might help a little or try some sea foam, that seems to help alot though I have not used it. Mines a stock truck and I was averaging alot higher mpgs.

no i havent so just get seeform and put it in my gas tank it that a good idea? what is better to do i change my oil ever 3000miles with just regualor oil. would i get more perfromace out of my truck if i switch to senthic

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use to use Mobil 1 (5w30 synthetic) and changed it every 1500-2000 miles or every 2nd month. Along with Lucas treatment once a month into the gas tank.

Sea Foam will do a good job, however it runs through your PCV valve and also into your gas tank (not sure how much to each).

I am now switching to Motul engine oil, makes Mobil 1 feel sloppy and unresponsive at throttle (I probably sound crazy, but there was a big difference). I have heard bad things about synthetic oils such as Mobil 1, a racing/ engine buildin team I saw dynoing there race cars wont touch Mobil 1, and only Valvoline racing oil. They did buy the Motul 100% synthetic, but I cannot speak for their results.

I have never had a problem with Mobil 1, and like it. Just happens this Motul oil I find is alot better but is more expensive.

I am not too sure on switching from non-syn to synthetic oil. I personally like to stay with the same oil at all costs, the only exception was the Motul I just changed to. What brand oil you using now?

I use to use Mobil 1 (5w30 synthetic) and changed it every 1500-2000 miles or every 2nd month. Along with Lucas treatment once a month into the gas tank.

Sea Foam will do a good job, however it runs through your PCV valve and also into your gas tank (not sure how much to each).

I am now switching to Motul engine oil, makes Mobil 1 feel sloppy and unresponsive at throttle (I probably sound crazy, but there was a big difference). I have heard bad things about synthetic oils such as Mobil 1, a racing/ engine buildin team I saw dynoing there race cars wont touch Mobil 1, and only Valvoline racing oil. They did buy the Motul 100% synthetic, but I cannot speak for their results.

I have never had a problem with Mobil 1, and like it. Just happens this Motul oil I find is alot better but is more expensive.

I am not too sure on switching from non-syn to synthetic oil. I personally like to stay with the same oil at all costs, the only exception was the Motul I just changed to. What brand oil you using now?

just mobile 1 but not synthetic. is there really a change from hp and gas millage going to synthetic?

I honestly dont know about hp/tq, it will make the engine run smoother and better throttle response in my opinion. My truck came from the factory with heavy oil as it towed around state equipment, I believe it was a 10 or 15weight oil (possibly a non-synthetic I was not sure). I asked the service manager if the oil weight was 5w or higher and he thought it was 10 ot 15w. I then changed to 5w30 Mobil 1 a month later and saw a much better throttle repsonse and smoother idle with the Mobil 1 (back in 8/2005).

I would just stick with the Mobil 1 your using, and try some fuel cleaner like Fireman31 suggested (chevron techron) or Lucas treatment. If your still not happy maybe try sea foam or change to synthetic M1. Be cafefull with seafoam, unproper use can cause damage.

When is the last time you changed your fuel filter? 2003's are the only year SS with a filter that needs to be changed.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

oh yeah i am not just seeing if i maybe could get a lil better. i have owed this for 5years and really happy with it.

I'd replace the fuel filter now & every 15K. Pour 1 can of Seafoam treatment in your gas tank & then let one can get sucked into the intake (with truck running). I pour a can in my gas tank at every 6K oil change too- I run Mobile 1 5W30. Then drive the piss outta your truck for a few miles. Also, have the front end alignment checked.

Stay with synthetic. No need to switch. I run NAPA 5w30 synthetic. Cheaper then Mobil with my pops discount, Do the sea foam treatment and deff change your fuel filter!!!

Your on the right track, but a good CAI and a nice free flow exhaust will help too. peelout.gif

Also hows your brakes. Anything dragging Like a stuck pad???

Edited by Sick03ss (see edit history)

14.7 to 15.4 driving normal (semi-hard)

Best I got was 22.1 coming from VA (reset on highway and cruise at 68, 100% highway AVG)

Normal mostly highway AVG is 17-18 on a road trip.

I've never seen anything I have done influence my MPG. Injector cleaner didn't work for me, E3 plugs didn't do anything etc etc...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. When I first bought my truck in 2003 I was getting 16. After I think 50k I started getting 15.8. I always use Mobil 1 synthetic I have changed my fuel filter atleast every 6-7k

I just hit 120k and got my truck converted to 2005 electric fans and a transgo HD2 shift kit. Now all of a sudden I'm getting 14.8. So I'm going to change the fuel filter again its been awhile and get new plugs and wires. Also after reading the posts I'm considering the Motul even tho I've always used Mobil 1. I've always used Motul in the sport bikes. Hopefully ill get my mpgs back.

Also after reading the posts I'm considering the Motul even tho I've always used Mobil 1. I've always used Motul in the sport bikes. Hopefully ill get my mpgs back.

Motul for the win all the way. I just changed from Mobil 1 to Motul in my BMW its much better. Glad to see one other person that knows of Motul on the site.

I added the 5w-40 excess 8100 in the BMW, trying to find the right oil for the LQ9 becasue the engines are very different. They also have a great selection of gear oils, tranny fluids etc. I am looking into.

i see 19-21 city and 22-24 hwy

mine is 2wd though i also put taylor 10.4mm wires, hotter plugs, full exhaust (no cats), slp 160* t-stat, wheatley tune, detrioit true lock locker, trans-go shift kit, running 22" Boss 313's nitto 420's 305/45/22

and a BSER roll pan