SS and AWD on Snow/Ice

IBCNYA

He folks

I just wanted to throw this question out to those of us who live in extreme environments. I mean the extreme environments that include much snow and ice. As my profile says underneath my user name I live in Anchorage, AK. I was wondering how the SS handles w/ stock tires on ice and snow? I personally am thinking about getting some OEM wheels and throwing some nice tires w/ studs on it. I have a buddy here in town who has a red 04 SS (btw he dropped it 2"..WOW looks great...but its red) and he said he is going to run his regular factory wheels/tires. Are the GoodYear Eagle LS rated for snow and ice? We typically have about 5 months of weather like this in Anchorage. The streets stay pretty clear but even then its just packed snow that has been plowed numerous times. They sand alot to so Ill be washing the heck out of the truck when that starts.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Last winter here in Wisconsin I was very impressed by the SS in the snow and Ice. The only real issue I had was that you could get her going really well but you still have to remember how heavy it is when you stop. I had very little wheel spin even on ice.

My nieghbor ran his SS all last winter w/ stock rims & tires w/ no problems at all. He was impressed with the snow/ice handling. With how much snow & ice we had this past winter i think that is a good guage. :thumbs:

I had no problems with mine in Brunswick, Maine. It was constantly slushy and icey and I did just fine with no problems. I would go with some normal sized wheels and maybe a little more aggresive tire than a street type for the winter and try and keep the it the stock tire height(so you dont have to change the computer everytime you change wheels), just to keep your 20's looking nice for the winter.

Being it is in the 80's here today it seems strange to talk about snow!!!

I ran stock last winter here in minnesota. They were not bad. I plan on purchasing some snow tires and cheap wheels for this winter. With how well it performs on stock setup on snow with the AWD, I would think a better width as well as a tire designed for snow/ice would make it even better. Guess the best thing to do is wait until you can see for yourself how it performs and then decide if a new tire package is worth the money for you.

DVC00013.JPG

-Nick

My C3 has the same AWD system as the SS except 3.73 axle ratio's. The stock tire is a Michelin Cross Terrain 265/70-17 with an overall height close to that of an SS 20" wheel/tire combo at 31.8" or something like that. Anyway my truck did excellent in snow and even an ice storm we had. I even pulled a mustang Cobra up a glazed hill with no slip at all, and he had his e-brake on half the way up! I can make the tires spin in frozen precip. but if I take it easy there is no slip at all.

Bought the truck just becuase I could drive it all winter long here in Maine. Still using stock tires/rims and this past winter I had zero problems driving it. I wont think twice about taking it out in the middle of a snow storm...infact, it's fun to drive in it! :thumbs:

Justin :chevy:

Archived