Hid'S In My Reverse Lights

So i got Some Hids Out Of A Lexus The Ones that Come Stock ANd Ordered Some red d3? Bulbs for it long story short i glued the bulbed in the reverse socket and wired in the ballest on one side and put it in reverse and they work hit the unlock button and it works so i go and do the other side and put it in reverse and the lights come on but one side starts blinking and shuts off i try it a few more times and does the same so i switch + and - does the same thing but then both lights turn off and now i dont have and lights for reverse i took the hids out and put normal bulbs on so its back to stock and still nothing can someone please help me to 1. make my lights come back on and 2. im thinking i need resisters or to hard wire the hids for them to work ? any one have advice i no it sounds stupid but hids in reverse sounded fun and was tight till it stopped working haha

nb;own fuse?

='munch3' date='13 October 2010 - 09:19 PM' timestamp='1287019174' post='744457']

So i got Some Hids Out Of A Lexus The Ones that Come Stock ANd Ordered Some red d3? Bulbs for it long story short i glued the bulbed in the reverse socket and wired in the ballest on one side and put it in reverse and they work hit the unlock button and it works so i go and do the other side and put it in reverse and the lights come on but one side starts blinking and shuts off i try it a few more times and does the same so i switch + and - does the same thing but then both lights turn off and now i dont have and lights for reverse i took the hids out and put normal bulbs on so its back to stock and still nothing can someone please help me to 1. make my lights come back on and 2. im thinking i need resisters or to hard wire the hids for them to work ? any one have advice i no it sounds stupid but hids in reverse sounded fun and was tight till it stopped working haha

your prob gonna or have already killed the hids and possibly blew a fuse. Hids aren't a instant on bulb like your normal reverse lights. They need time to tun on and warm up. The amount of time your in reverse isn't nearly enough time and the bulbs just flashing when you hit the key fob will most certainly destroy the ballasts and the lights probably won't ignite at all. Hids need time to come on and then remain on. They can't just 'flash'.

the bulbs and ballists work fine still and its not the fuse i blew a sensor on the tranny that has to do with the reverse lights who woulda knew there was a censer there for reverse

I have HIDs as my reverse lights havnt had a problem yet... what i did was go off my trailer harness and just grounded to the frame and just used the factory positive wire from the harness that would normaly run to the factory reverse light bulb as a signal to the relay. I did this that way there is no extra load on the factory harness. The trailer harness has a 12 volt 10 gauge power wire that is more then capable of supplying power to the ballasts so I used this as my main power source.

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

Edited by Three6GMC (see edit history)

see i new i wasent the only crazy one lol thumb.gif once i get my sensor fixed ill be doing it that way. will it mater if i already tapped into my trailer harness for my backup camera? and with the trailer harness when unlocking do they turn on for the 50 seconds or so?

here is the only pics i snapped while doing it not much but better than nothing

post-20412-128721249668_thumb.jpg

Edited by munch3 (see edit history)

What bulb size did you run, and what kind of modification was involved?

Sent from Droid2

I used the H13 bulb that are used on the new Ram trucks. The bulbs fit in the housings pretty easy but I used some silicone sealant to make it a water proof seal. On the NNBS trucks its really easy if you get your power and signal wires from the trailer harness.

see i new i wasent the only crazy one lol thumb.gif once i get my sensor fixed ill be doing it that way. will it mater if i already tapped into my trailer harness for my backup camera? and with the trailer harness when unlocking do they turn on for the 50 seconds or so?

here is the only pics i snapped while doing it not much but better than nothing

Shouldnt be a big stress on the system to use the trailer harness in conjuction with your rear camera as it has some pretty thick wires. And yes the trailer harness still holds all the functions as your regular lights or at least on the NNBS trucks they do. I think this is really why my light have still lasted, the delay time lets them fully charge up. Alot of people say that there will not be enough time fully warm the ballast up but so far from what I have seen even if your in reverse for 2 seconds its enough. I have had mine on for about 2-3 months now with no problems what so ever.

And for the people who are gunna ask "what about when you go through gear changes" well most HID venders sell a capacitor kit that just goes between the ballast and the factory harness that prevents them to turn on until the capacitor is fully charged... pretty much like a 1/2 second delay.

Yes I got my power from the Red wire on my trailer harness and my signal to the relay from the green wire. I might be getting some of the colors confused tho ill have to re-check it to make sure but the harness itself has a little diagram of what wire is what. Just tap into the reverse wire for signal Red for your power and ground to the frame its really easy once you get under the truck and look at it.

i totaly understand what your saying now thank you so much im going to do it that way did you use the standard relay with 4 pins 84 85 86 30 or what ever it is? if so what did you plug what to?