Throttle Body Upgrade?

maparicio2010

So i want to add a new breathing system that is affordable, so I'm debating on getting a throttle body, a spacer, and an intake. However I came across a 80mm throttle body, and the question came to me, what size is my stock throttle body now? and also if there is possibly a throttle body thats bigger then 80mm, but is still direct fit?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BBK-1757/

Thats the throtle body I'm thinking about purchasing, can anybody help me with my questions? or provide any suggestions?

Do not waste your money on a TB spacer, they do absolutely nothing except make noise. The cost vs. performance gain of that TB isn't worth it either, stay with the stock 78mm. An air intake kit is always a good modification. Do you have any other mods?

No. none. My SS is a virgin, lol. I wanted a quick pony boost and my friend has a 4.6 Crew cab silverado he added a spacer and an intake and his gas mileage went up along with a nice boost, so I figured if I did the same maybe I'd get some good results. I do however want to add a shift kit and a stall converter, just dont fully understand it quite yet..

No. none. My SS is a virgin, lol. I wanted a quick pony boost and my friend has a 4.6 Crew cab silverado he added a spacer and an intake and his gas mileage went up along with a nice boost, so I figured if I did the same maybe I'd get some good results. I do however want to add a shift kit and a stall converter, just dont fully understand it quite yet..

It's time to get reading on the boards here, there is a ton of info at your fingertips, you will learn a bunch and feel more comfortable about modifying your truck with a few clicks. Remember, the search button is your friend.

Okay, here is my suggestion to you......start with the basics. Upgrade your intake to a name brand CAI, there a few favorites around this forum. Upgrade to a cat back exhaust kit of your choice, again there are a few favorites among the membership here. And last, get your self a custom tune from Wheatley, Zippy, or BlackBear. A tune is the best bang for your buck and will make a night and day difference in your truck. Start with these suggestions and work from there....

These few minor mods will ensure that you wipe the floor with your friends 4.8 Silvy......

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Thanks for the input. As it is I already beat my friend, he won't race me no more ha, plus he's not the racing type. My other buddy has a 2001 5.3 ext cab silverado with a shift kit and a homemade PVC pipe intake..."sigh" He keeps up about a car length and a half...ish? away. I always thought my SS was a bit quicker then other stock SS's. Now that I think about it, I have gotten new cats.. The guy who owns the muffler shop I went to said they were high performance cats, but I think they were just plain universals. I do however want to add a full exhaust from headers on down. I was thinking about some Dynatech headers with maybe some different cats, depending on the condition of the ones I have now when I actually do it, leading into a Borla exhaust possibly. I'm not quite sure of what kind of intake i want quite yet.. What exactly is a custom tune that you mentioned, is that like a superchip or something similar?

Thanks for the input. As it is I already beat my friend, he won't race me no more ha, plus he's not the racing type. My other buddy has a 2001 5.3 ext cab silverado with a shift kit and a homemade PVC pipe intake..."sigh" He keeps up about a car length and a half...ish? away. I always thought my SS was a bit quicker then other stock SS's. Now that I think about it, I have gotten new cats.. The guy who owns the muffler shop I went to said they were high performance cats, but I think they were just plain universals. I do however want to add a full exhaust from headers on down. I was thinking about some Dynatech headers with maybe some different cats, depending on the condition of the ones I have now when I actually do it, leading into a Borla exhaust possibly. I'm not quite sure of what kind of intake i want quite yet.. What exactly is a custom tune that you mentioned, is that like a superchip or something similar?

A custom tune is light years better then a handheld like Superchips, and is half the cost. Seeing how you are in Texas, get a hold of Charlie Wheatley, he can set you up.....you won't believe the difference in your truck. :thumbs: In terms of the intake, K&N, Volant, and AEM are the favorites around here. Dynatech headers are tried and true, a great choice. The exhaust is your choice, there is a variety of brands around here like Magnaflow, Corsa, and Flowmaster.....

Definitely get ahold of Wheatley, he can take care of all your tuning needs and a custom tune is much better than any hand held programmer. If you can make the drive to Houston for him to tune your truck in person I'd highly recommend it. Hell, I drove over four hours just to have a live tune from him, haha.

• 2 weeks later...