Heads And Intake Question

Alright so I've got a parts list made up, let me know if I'm missing anything or don't need something I have down!

WCCH stage 2 L92 heads

Rocker Arms and Stands

EPS custom grind cam

Head Gaskets

Water pump & Timing chain gaskets

Pushrods

LS2 Timing Chain

LS7 Lifters

Walbro 255 hp fuel pump

Dr. X harness

Edited by zachm89 (see edit history)

Alright well after some research on the heads I think I'm gunna change who I'm getting them from. I compared flow numbers from stock casting L92 heads to the SDPC flow numbers and I was kinda disappointed. SDPC's "fully cnc ported" l92's flow WORSE than the stock heads until you get to .600+ lift, and even then the increases are tiny.

On the other hand, when comparing both stock L92s and the SDPC cnc'd heads to a stage 2 L92 head from Richard at WCCH the differences are huge! Richards stage two heads flow miles better than the SDPC's. So it looks like I'm scrapping SDPC and going to give Richard a call for some stage twos soon.

I would agree, if you are looking for as-stock L92's then SDPC is not a bad vendor, but for ported ones WCCH is one of the best price/performance options in the market.

Comments:

Water pump & Timing chain gaskets - yours can probably be reused

LS2 Timing Chain - IMO I would replace the cam sprocket too

ARP Head Bolts - nice, but OE will work just as well for less $$$, unless you are removing the heads later??

LS7 Lifters - if yours aren't making noise, I would continue using them

Stock replacement oil pump - why? is your pump bad?

Since budget is a concern, I would reuse your oil pump, lifters & timing cover gasket - take that money and put it into the better (WCCH) heads. Again just my 2-cents.

Mr. P. :)

what he said!

The trend IMO with L92/GEn IV heads is they dont really shine till above .600 lift.

lift dont mean much unless you know the cam....so if you cam lift is into the .600's then its worth the $$ to have WCCH work them.

in my case I kept the lift below .600 so porting was not in the budget.

Steve really hit all the points, lifter would not touch, OE bolts are good...

the cam gear is an interesting upgrade, I fully plan to add when I pull the truck apart again.

I would not get that pump. I would stay stock till tuning says I need more. then I'm looking into Flex fuel pump or a denso pump (all budget and OE tuff) I am not tuned anywhere near close enough to say how good I am for fuel with my 42's and stock pump/vette reg, so I could be wrong about needing a pump right away.

Well the thing I don't like about the sdpc ported heads is the fact that they increased the intake run er volume by so much, that's just kinda crappy IMO. And with 105,xxx miles on my truck I figured throwing in a set of ls7 litters couldn't hurt. As for the fuel pump I found one for a good deal from another member so I'm going to pick that up anyway. I think I'll stick with the stock oil pump as I am not having any problems with it, my oil pressure is still really good.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright fellas, bringing this thread back to life! I was going to put the head/cam swap off for a while to buy a dd but it ended up having body damage that I didn't wanna deal with so my truck will be getting the goodies! I'm currently looking at two possibilities for heads and I want some honest no bullshit opinions. I can either pick up a set of used Texas Speed stage 2.5 l92s complete with .675" prc eht springs, rods, rockers and valves for $1,000 OR I can buy some brand new stock casting LS3 heads with hollow stem valves for $375 a head, buy stock rockers from the local dealer, and get a cam package from Texas speed or EPS for around 750. Cam spec thoughts are in the 22x/23x, .61x/.61x on a 110-112 lsa. Buying the stock casting heads will end up costing slightly more but everything will be new parts as opposed to buying something used with around 13k miles on it. I guess what I'm really getting at will a set of stock casting LS3 heads be better for my setup than a stage 2.5 ported set from tsp? Thanks in advance guys!

Zach

Actually no, I wasn't. There are several guys on pt running cams that size or bigger with 3000-3200 converters with no problems at all and running some pretty good times with them. I'll be sticking with the 3000. :pepsicheer:

Actually no, I wasn't. There are several guys on pt running cams that size or bigger with 3000-3200 converters with no problems at all and running some pretty good times with them. I'll be sticking with the 3000. :pepsicheer:

There is no reason to fear the used L92's as long as they were not abused (overheated, etc); I would consider them over the stock LS3's as long as you know they were running well at the time they were pulled. Since the used L92s are ported you should research what cams work best with those (Texas Speed) ports.

Mr. P.

There is no reason to fear the used L92's as long as they were not abused (overheated, etc); I would consider them over the stock LS3's as long as you know they were running well at the time they were pulled. Since the used L92s are ported you should research what cams work best with those (Texas Speed) ports.

Mr. P.

The heads look good but I'm just worried about going overkill on a stock bottom end when the stock LS3 heads already flow much better than the stock heads. Plus the fact they have hollow stem intake valves already is a plus over the L92s.

The heads look good but I'm just worried about going overkill on a stock bottom end when the stock LS3 heads already flow much better than the stock heads. Plus the fact they have hollow stem intake valves already is a plus over the L92s.

GM already puts those heads on 6.0L motors from the factory, with damned-near exactly the same rods, crank, bearings, pistons, and hardware as you already have in your LQ9 - it'll be fine! :D

Yes the hollow-stem valves are a bonus - anything that helps valvetrain stability is a GOOD THING.

Mr. P. :)

good point Steve, I hadnt even thought about it like that. Looks like I will be going with the TSP ported heads and giving them a call about a cam sometime next week!

Here are some pics of the heads to keep everyones interest. as soon as i get all my parts in i will start a build thread and take lots of pictures to document everything. im pretty excited about this build!

th_2010-12-31_14-00-47_108.jpg

th_2010-12-31_14-02-25_178.jpg

th_2010-12-31_14-08-32_986.jpg