What is the best Tansmission Cooler

What is the best transmission cooler for our trucks out there. Also If you can include a part number and/or website it would be great to do research on it. I am doing some trany work on my truck and might as well get the trany cooler put in also.

I had a B&M on my last truck. I have it ready to install on my SS, but wanted to see how well the stock cooler does with my stall and summer heat. So far, its been just fine.

Two questions

What are your tranny temps?

Shift kit?

thanks

Hi,

as I'm about to order a brand new SS, I'm trying to find as much as information available to get immediatelly the right one.. :)

I see some people who have a different thermostat by 160 Degrees installed. What difference does this make, and more important, what brand / type do I need then?

I'll order the Trailer Package immed. This normally includes a transmission cooler to. Will this be suffisiant?

Thanks

Pascal

Another thing, I just realised there is a difference in values for you guys and me. We measure degrees in Celcius, you in Fahrenheit.. ;)

As I also know something about engines (more specifically motorcycle and older car engines) I suddenly realised a 160 Degrees Thermostat will cause more harm then good, as I can read anywhere in all the topics.

First of all: Oil themperature. Oil starts to give its best lubricantion at a specific themperature of about 180 Degrees Fahrenheit. This number off course differs from oil to oil. But with a 160 Degrees Thermostate, your oil will never get it's proper themperature to lubricate as the best... :D

I hope you understand what I want to say. I guess this also matters in kind of wheather conditions etc...

Any comments?

Pascal

Thermostat degree ratings only tell you when the thermostat opens and closes. It is important in cold climates to scale your stat for the appropriate engine temp during winter, but for those of us in *ahem* less cool climates, that is not an issue, and it is better to keep as much coolant in the engine as possible, once the engine is warmed up I've *never* had an engine that runs at the required temperature (but ambient is always high here).

On my current set up, I cruise at highway speeds at around 180*. Idling in traffic, I see 190-200* (this is the same as full boost conditions).

If you have a block warmer, Pascal, it might not be an issue for you either (but don't listen to the guy who has always lived in 90* ambient weather on that one :seeya: )

Archived