SS?

GregRexAdams

Well I believe you have a lot of good points. That is by far the longest and most extensive post I have personally ever read. You are entitled to your opinion and this forum has done a very excellent job on asking how we feel about the new SS. The SS name has a very storied tradition and should not be toyed with no doubt. I have read what most people have said and it has become obvious to everybody that this truck is not an answer to the Lightning. When this truck was first introduced it was quite obvious. But you can not just question this truck being an SS! What about the Monte Carlo SS? That vehicle does nothing to show that it deserves the SS name. It is also obvious that GM does not just hold the SS name for performance anymore. Hence, this new Silverado SS. The market will be out there for people to upgrade these trucks. We will just have to see if people respond. I believe that every person that owns this truck will be proud to say they own a Silverado SS. If you buy it, you know it will not beat a Lightning. You have the power to change that. Take the S/C off the Lightning and what do you have? Just a 5.4 liter Ford V-8 with less than 300 horsepower. This SS starts with 345 and thats a lot for a truck. Throw on a S/C and you will easily be pushing 500! You can say its not an SS to anybody you want. But the General has spoken and let it be written. Say hello to the 2003 Silverado SS!

I have an 85 Monte Carlo SS and I love it. What you obviously fail to realize is when they came out they were the third fastest cars out of Detroit. When they were new they were considered to be damn fast and thus deserving of the SS name. Since then the performance bar has been raised considerably. Same goes for the 1990-1993 454SS trucks, when they were new they were considered to be fast.

As far as the new Silverado SS goes......Its a joke. Its nothing more than a C3 with different badges, it has more in common with an SUV than a performance vehicle.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do have a modded LS1, all the work was done in my garage by a forum member here named hotrod. I have the know-how I just don't have the experience he does at this.

Here are the mods....

TPIS Long Tube Headers

Borla XR-1 Race Exhaust

RM Racing Twin Flow

Vortex Powerduct

Granitelli MAF

LPE High Flow Intake Manifold

Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

Hayes Flywheel

Plugs, wires,

NOS 150 Dry (Soon to be TNT 150 wet)

Lowered 2 3/4"

TB Bypass

LS1 motors are NOT HARD TO MOD.

The only hard thing is changing the damn clutch.

I do have a modded LS1, all the work was done in my garage by a forum member here named hotrod. I have the know-how I just don't have the experience he does at this.

Here are the mods....

TPIS Long Tube Headers

Borla XR-1 Race Exhaust

RM Racing Twin Flow

Vortex Powerduct

Granitelli MAF

LPE High Flow Intake Manifold

Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

Hayes Flywheel

Plugs, wires,

NOS 150 Dry (Soon to be TNT 150 wet)

Lowered 2 3/4"

TB Bypass

LS1 motors are NOT HARD TO MOD.

The only hard thing is changing the damn clutch.

Hey thanks Tony, Moding an LS1 is farily simple in my opion. I have an LT1 and its just as easy. Ya space is limited in most newer cars, but you have a truck. Of course you gonna have tons of space. As for your truck running low 12's, not saying it can't be done, but i'd have to see it.

And yes the clutch in the C5's is a pain in the azz to change, :blink: all f-bodies are a walk in the park compared to the C5's.

Hey Tony you need to add to your more list some more.

Heads and cam maybe!! B) :blink:

I have an 85 Monte Carlo SS and I love it. What you obviously fail to realize is when they came out they were the third fastest cars out of Detroit. When they were new they were considered to be damn fast and thus deserving of the SS name. Since then the performance bar has been raised considerably. Same goes for the 1990-1993 454SS trucks, when they were new they were considered to be fast.

As far as the new Silverado SS goes......Its a joke. Its nothing more than a C3 with different badges, it has more in common with an SUV than a performance vehicle.

FRITO, I APOLOGIZE. I WAS ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT THE NEW MONTE CARLO SS. I SHOULD HAVE MADE THAT POINT.

I have an 85 Monte Carlo SS and I love it. What you obviously fail to realize is when they came out they were the third fastest cars out of Detroit.

1st being turbo regals by a loooooooooong shot. dont get me wrong I do like the G-body SS's

As for the silverado SS I still cant figure out what the difference is between it and the C3 I seem to rember that being marketed as a luxury truck not a syclone replacment. GMC knew better than to call that a performance truck. Whats the matter W/ the engineer from chevrolet? Didnt I here he was responsable for the Geo Tracker? I guess that would answer that. Mabey they shuold put leather seats in a tracker than we can have aSS Tracker Marketing ploy Will roll over in 4.3 seconds :P

Archived