SS?

GregRexAdams

Wow. This site came to my attention, and I decided to post my feelings on the whole deal. I am the owner of a 1990 model 454SS. Growing up, I heard many stories about this truck. Things they could do. The way they could light up the tires. How nice they were to drive. But the most important thing I heard was their potential.

Then reports kept coming in. The SS. The SSR. The SST. The Coolside II. Did you know the original concept for this SS was a 6.6L motor putting out 475 HP? That was mighty impressive. But the greatest of all was the Coolside II, what many would consider the rightful heir of the SS logo. An 8.1L putting out 500 HP and 600 ft. lbs of torque naturally aspirated. All wheel drive. An automatic. And 12 second 1/4 mile times. Standard cab, to boot. Yes, now that was an impressive vehicle. But the logic behind it was not that hard. A big block, traction, and the lightest configuration possible. Sure, the AWD added weight, but it was a big block for crying out loud! The added traction was of great benefit! Now, supercharge that. 750 hp, 900 torque. With only a supercharger. That AWD is worth its weight in gold.

And what of the SSR? It was supposed to come in at 3500 lbs. At that weight, it's 285 HP would have been sufficient for near-Camaro performance numbers, and something of a performance flagship. Unfortunately, GM has decided that once again bigger is better, and it weighs in at 4,500 lbs. last I heard. That's good for 7-second 0-60 blasts. Which isn't bad. But it's a ROADSTER. It should be very fast to live up to that name.

Just like this current trend of SS should live up to Super Sport. Something that is super sporty. That means fast and agile. Ahhhh, the feel of driving my SS. Do you know what gave those trucks their legend? Their torque. That big block. By 3,400 RPM, there's enough twist to change planetary orbits on a stock truck. Now upgrade the truck a little, get past it's anemics, and you are in killing territory.

But what does this have to do with the '03 SS? Simply, that that truck...disturbs many people. Simple physics state that torque is what gets a vehicle moving. Small vehicles can rely on HP, but a heavy vehicle has to have torque. The SS is a small block. So is the Lightning. But the Lightning is a performance vehicle? Ahhh, but the supercharger is positive displacement, adding torque down low, and making the motor act as if it were bigger. The SS does not have that crutch. It has the HP, but the torque is in the wrong place for a full-sized truck. And over 6,000 lbs at that!

We're hitting a new era. Now performance is environmentally friendly again. The Z06 is ULEV. So are the Chevy trucks. And that is what killed the performance arena so many years ago, the fear for the environment. So why is it that when technology at last makes both possible, that GM turns its back on the performance crowd?

To state my opinion plainly, and so that there is no confusion, I am a performance enthusiast. This truck is made to be sporty, obviously. But it isn't a super sport. It's a nice truck. But it isn't an SS, not in the most sincere sense, the sense that the words themselves describe. It goes against the very formula. The fact that it is offered in extended cab does not bother me. The fact that it is NOT offered in standard cab, the first year it is produced, does. I do not hold it against anyone for owning this truck. I do hold it against GM for saying SS when it is an RS at best, by the standards that THEY created. And every time one of these pull up next to me at a stoplight, supercharged, turbocharged, or what it will, when I smoke it I am going to laugh at GM. But it will be cold. Because I will remember what an SS USED to be made of.

I will not proliferate on this site and dog the truck. I have made my opinion known. Post what you will. But the performance enthusiasts will always know.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Admin

I'm not sure what to say other than i think its wrong to judge untill you've seen it in person, and watch it perform. Once you've driven one, sure then you can give your unbiased opinion, but untill then, your opinion is just a good guess on your part.

I've seen this thing in person, i've crawled around it, in it, and under it. I've stared under the hood, and ridden in it before anyone else. Would i want more power? Hell yea! I would love it! But, i'm thinking i could ALWAYS use more power.

The fact is, that GM is NOT going after the9 9th percental hardcore enthusuast right now, because there is more of a market telling to everyone else! That should not underate the true awesomeness of this truck. Trust me, GM does things for a reason.

Well I believe you have a lot of good points. That is by far the longest and most extensive post I have personally ever read. You are entitled to your opinion and this forum has done a very excellent job on asking how we feel about the new SS. The SS name has a very storied tradition and should not be toyed with no doubt. I have read what most people have said and it has become obvious to everybody that this truck is not an answer to the Lightning. When this truck was first introduced it was quite obvious. But you can not just question this truck being an SS! What about the Monte Carlo SS? That vehicle does nothing to show that it deserves the SS name. It is also obvious that GM does not just hold the SS name for performance anymore. Hence, this new Silverado SS. The market will be out there for people to upgrade these trucks. We will just have to see if people respond. I believe that every person that owns this truck will be proud to say they own a Silverado SS. If you buy it, you know it will not beat a Lightning. You have the power to change that. Take the S/C off the Lightning and what do you have? Just a 5.4 liter Ford V-8 with less than 300 horsepower. This SS starts with 345 and thats a lot for a truck. Throw on a S/C and you will easily be pushing 500! You can say its not an SS to anybody you want. But the General has spoken and let it be written. Say hello to the 2003 Silverado SS!

Merv, let me illustrate a little here.

When I recieved my '96 red, t-topped Camaro, I loved it. Sporty little car. But now, I'm trading in for a '90 SS that I'm rebuilding. Do I love my car? Heck yes! Would I still own it if it had SS on the side with a V-6? Not after driving a real SS. Do not treat me like I know nothing. That I don't speak from experience. I have defended the General for a long time now. As I said, I do like the truck. Yes, I have seen them. I have been around them, test driven them in person. What do I say? I'll take the feel of driving my 13-year old TBI 2WD BBC truck. It's THAT much better. And do you know what IT cost brand new? $20,000. If you want to speak of aftermarket, do you know what I can do to a BBC for the at least $15,000 extra that you'll have to spend? Let's each take $15,000 to modify, even after the $15,000 extra you're paying, and I bet you won't like me when it's over.

I find it highly amusing that with the 50th anniversary of the Corvette, and all of the talk of tradition, that GM would abandon the true meaning of the SS moniker, AFTER canceling Olds and the F-body. Like you said, everyone has their own opinion. I like the truck. I wouldn't buy it for what they want. As for what the truck IS, that's written in stone. Basic mathematics state that that thing IS NOT FAST. Too much weight, too little HP. And getting technical, pay special attention to torque. As I said, it gets a vehicle moving, especially a heavy one. That truck doesn't have near the 450 ft. lbs. of torque that the Lightning has. Even at the same weight, with only a 20 HP difference, that SS will get CREAMED. The SRT-10? Yes, it will be faster than the Lightning. But try using THAT for a truck. And validating the price tag.

As for that 99% of performance enthusiasts...yeah, right. There's only 1% of the population interested in fast vehicles...sure.

If you want to talk potential again, let's see how many LS1s are in the pro drags...and their times. To get really technical, the actually LS1 production block, not the LS6-derived racing block. Then, let's look at how many are running big blocks. You want to talk supercharging? Again, the LS1 may come up with more power after supercharging, but that means nothing. It's torque. And in that category there is NO contest.

My point is this: that's the truck equivalent of a sports sedan. It should have been the truck equivalent of a Camaro SS. That's what the original was, that's what SS has always stood for. And don't even get me started on the Monte Carlo SS. I've had cold sores I liked better.

Oh yes, GM does things for a reason...but do you know they almost scrapped the Corvette for their reasons? Do you know that they are also celebrating because the C-5 had everything together, not just the comforts, but the performance? But do you know why they almost cancelled it? Money. It was a team dedicated to what the CORVETTE STOOD FOR that saved it. Like I'm dedicated to what SS stands for. But if the Vette had become a Caddy? Sure, it's sporty, kinda fast, but man is it comfortable. But would it be a Corvette? NO. And that truck is a Caddy before it's an SS. As I said, at the circle track and the dragstrip, the fun WILL BE mine. And even at the gaspump with my archaic big block.

The key here is what it will do off the show room floor. Start modding that Lightning engine as well. You won't like it. It may not be an LS1, but physics are physics, and you won't walk away from it. Less weight, better cornering, handling, and probably acceleration. Those things are hitting 10s now. That's 700 HP. And that is relatively inexpensive HP.

Pop quiz: On most vehicles of that weight, what does GM install, or at least make an option?

Answer: Duramax or 8100. Go figure.

While I agree with many of your points I also feel that the 454SS's were a joke as well. They ran what....mid to high 17's??? My 94 S10 SS used to spank them on a regular basis and it was a V6 with 195hp. Granted, it had much less weight. but stilll.

I think we all would have loved to see the new SS have 500 hp...after all they teased us with several bad@$$ models and this new truck is NOTHING like any of them.

I am still anxious to see/drive one in person. And I know I wont be impressed in the power category either. but Oh well...that is about par for GM lately. :(

Try mid-15s.

But, when released, they were the FASTEST TRUCKS OF THE TIME. In fact, until the Lightning II, they were the fastest full-size. Granted, they aren't THAT fast stock, but faster than anything else released then. And it was an effort, that Ford finally overcame in '99, NINE years after its release. And as I said, they ran around $20,000. And do you know how easy to modify a BBC is? Chevy gave a great inexpensive platform there, all you had to do was play. There's nothing inexpensive about the new one. And the motor? A high winder, not torquey. And now, even though their first addition reigned for 9 years, this one starts off behind.

Exactly as you illustrated, Chevy has the potential to release some bad toys with it's current technology. It wouldn't be hard at all. They just don't care. And that's insulting.

I have to agree with Greg on many points, I am a full time bracket Racer and I see the real deal at the track, no BS there. We have a guy running a 454ss running well into the 13s with very little mods, we also have two lighting pickups on a full time basis running 14.20s all day long and are very consistent, it is a husband and wife team both in there 60s. The Lightings have some mods and alt adjusted they are running in the 13s also but the 454ss out runs them every time. My friends Pontiac GTP V-6 out run the Lightings. I too am very upset with the General over the Camaro, Firebird thing as well as the Silverado SS. It seems Chevy is getting out of the performance game and for a hardcore Chevy guy it is hard to swallow, some of the comments are out of this frustration. I want a new pickup out there at the track kicking some serious azz. :angry:

I have raced a modded lightning in my '97 vette, it is very modded as well, he ran a 13.5 @ 107. He said the mods are not as cheap as everyone says they are, and they are exspensive to put on.

The 454SS sucked as well, I believe it had 3.11 gears. So, no matter what someone will not be happy with some part of every vehicle produced. If you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT. Don't come here and start trashing it, save that for your 454SuperSlow board.

These are just our humble options and that is what these boards are for, not everyone agrees on everything. I love Chevy’s always have but that doesn’t mean I agree with everything Chevy does. That is like saying if you disagree with anything on this board go somewhere else. :rolleyes:

You're right, I don't need to come here and trash the SS on every article. That's why I started my own post to make my opinion known. For the rest, I simply state BONIFIED FACTS and helpful information. Despite that I don't like the truck's concept, I do like GM and the SS logo and will contribute.

Expensive to put on. But try modifying a new LS1. Or any new computer controlled and high tech motor. Those things are shoved into engine compartments barely bigger than they are. But if you do the work yourself, it is much cheaper. Most of the cost on newer motors is labor. That's why I love my BBC :).

As for gears, the 14-bolt 9.5" rearend had 3.73 in '90, and 4.10 in '91-'93. Next question please.

I know of several people with less than $2,500 in their trucks running consistent twelves. Like, low twelves.

Hey people new here.

First thing about being an underachiever. B.F.D! I have '02 ss camaro and I along with a lot of other people are jealous of a 6.0l LS1 in a halfton. Go ls1tech to see all the people buying these blocks for f bodies and/or p/u's. These thing are sooo easy to mod. I expect NA #'s to be 12.8-13.0 with bolt-ons and just imagine a ATI procharger or a turbo. This thing is gonna be badaSS!!!!!just my .02

Archived