Not All Microfiber Is Created Equal

Recent threads cropping up on various boards inspired me to do a mini write-up to illustrate the fact that not all microfiber is created equal. Variations in component ratios (polyamide and polyester) methods of production, density, fiber length, etc all play an important part in the construction of a quality towel.

THINGS TO AVOID -

Low ratio towels: Typically cheap towels, sold in bulk, at discount stores and you'll know simply by looking at the tag. A ratio of polyamide and polyester of 80/20 or lower will typically not be a paint safe towel. Some cheaper chinese made towels will be as low as 90/10!! Not fit for touching your paint, probably not even fit to use as toilet paper for that matter!! Good towels will have a ratio in the 60/40 or even 70/30 range.

Tags: Sewn in tags are a NO NO! The tag itself as well as the thread used to sew it into the seem are both potential ares for scratches and swirls to appear. Simply ripping the tag off doesn't alleviate the problem in most cases as the seem will still have hard nylon thread there. Just say no to sewn in tags.

Hot wire cuts: Towels produced in bulk are typically hot wire cut by the thousands leading to hard scratchy edges. The materials that compose a microfiber are man-made and melt at high heat, so by utilizing hot wire cutting these edges are melted into solid hard plastic like pieces. The melting and heat can impact the towels as far as a 1/4" or more into the face of the towel leaving you with very scratchy fibers.

Short fibers: With extremely short fibers you lose any density in the towel and thus the ability to allow dust, polish residue, or surface contamination to retreat into the towel. Short fiber towels will generally be less effective, take more wipes, and leave streaks when removing products. Thats not to say a short fiber towel is useless, just not good for paint or delicate surfaces. Keep short fiber towels for glass cleaning and other non delicate surfaces.

THATS ALL FINE AND DANDY, BUT WHERE'S THE PROOF? -

There is a simple test anyone can perform at home to determine if their towels are safe for use on paint. All you need is a clean, blank, DVD-R or DVD-RW and good lighting. The writable surface of a DVD has very similar properties to clear coat in that if it is scratched by one a towel, that towel will most likely swirl up paint.

STEP ONE: I carefully removed a blank DVD from its packaging and inspect for existing scratches or scuffs on the recordable side of the disc -

_DSC0865.jpg

STEP 2: I determine what towels I'd be testing. For this writeup we'll be testing an Adams Double-Soft Premium microfiber towel vs. a common over the counter Chinese made bulk towel found at many local stores. According to the sewn in tag the ratio is 80/20. Both were fresh out of their packaging, never used, never washed.

_DSC0869.jpg

STEP 3: I marked each side of the disc to avoid any confusion about what towel had touched what side of the disc being sure to avoid touching the surface with my hands.

_DSC0870.jpg

STEP 4: Wrapping the Adam's towel around my finger I applied a liberal amount of pressure to the disc then proceeded to wipe vertically a total of 3 times.

_DSC0871.jpg

STEP 5: The same process was repeated with the BRAND X towel on the other side of the disc.

_DSC0872.jpg

STEP 6: Being careful not to touch the face of the disc I did a quick inspection under normal light. Even without the aid of my flash it was obvious that the BRAND X side was a little worse for wear.

_DSC0875.jpg

STEP 7: Firing my flash off directly into the center of the disc showed the real results. The light scratches from just 3 passes of the towel on the BRAND X side are noticeable while the Adams Double Plush side is scratch free!!

_DSC0883.jpg

I guess I should stop buying towels at Costco, that would explain the spider webbing I saw in my paint yesterday.......I guess i'll have to polish her again in the spring. On a side note, I do rip the tags off before I use them. :P

as an answer to what ill be using the towel for that you asked me in the other thread, i was going to use it for the detail spray i got in the give-away. which towel would you say would be best for that application? awesome write up Dylan!

I guess I should stop buying towels at Costco, that would explain the spider webbing I saw in my paint yesterday.......I guess i'll have to polish her again in the spring. On a side note, I do rip the tags off before I use them. :P

Hell, even I have some of the costco towels, I think theres a pack of those in every house in America LOL! I just use them for 'non-delicate' tasks. Glass cleaning, door jambs, under the hood, carpets and interior panels. Afterall they're inexpensive and don't link like cotton so you can use them for that kind of stuff. Keeps your GOOD towels preserved for more dedicated tasks like paint care.

as an answer to what ill be using the towel for that you asked me in the other thread, i was going to use it for the detail spray i got in the give-away. which towel would you say would be best for that application? awesome write up Dylan!

In our forum discussions theres 2 schools of thought on this, either is right, just a matter of preference.

I personally like our Double Soft Premium microfiber for detail spray use (once you feel one of these towels you'll be blown away) you simply spray a light mist of DS onto the area you'll be treating. Wipe gently with one side of the folded towel, flip to the other side and buff away the gloss enhancer residue.

Others prefer our Waterless Wash towels. Its a very soft waffle weave towel in a good size for quick wipe downs, the reason I don't personally care for them in this use is they are absorbent, so they don't allow the gloss enhancer to do its full job before it gets sucked into the towel.

Again, no right or wrong, just preference.

That was a great little review.

What towel would you recommend for drying the car after a wash and before I start polishing. Typically people always talk about chemi but I am not sure that is the best way to go.

Bob

In my opinion theres 2 types of materials that are safe for drying - quality waffle weave microfiber or a genuine cod oil impregnated calf or lamb skin chamois (shammy)

The natural chamois are great, they absorb well, you can wring them out, and they are super safe for your paint. The drawback comes in the lifespan - a high quality chamois isn't cheap, although there are all the synthetic ones out there that aren't nearly as safe for the paint, most people rarely take the time to look for the natural ones. Also for the cost it has a relatively short life span... after each use it will get a little worn, and eventually need to be replaced. You also cannot use a drying agent like detail spray as it will ruin the chamois.

The other option, waffle weave microfiber, has an indefinite lifespan as long as its cared for correctly, is easily as absorbent if not moreso than the chamois and can be used with a drying agent without fear of damaging the towel. The Great White Drying Towel that we sell is constructed of the highest grade of microfiber available, its an undyed heavy weave which makes it super absorbent and super soft.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-106-adams-great-white-drying-towel.aspx

Dammit, I have a bundle of 8 of those gray and orange towels out there in my garage rite now. :sigh: Guess I got me some good glass and exaust tip wipers. I have watched out for those labels before though.

And thanks for another great write up.

Edited by Dr.Love38 (see edit history)